My Male Betta is in the strangest mood!

whiteangel

Medium Fish
Oct 6, 2003
Sydney west
My Bettas

Thanks for the site Siggy, cant read French as yet, but will someday. The female betta looked like she was about to blow up, she was so big.

I have read that when spawning, the male betta wraps himself around the female and squeezes the eggs out and the female gets a little stunned, but recovers soon after.

If this is true, does the female know this is to happen and is ok with the fact of having the life practically squeezed out of her literally?

Last night I put the biggest female betta in the 16 litre tank with the male, to see if they would spawn, as I didnt want my male betta's bubble blowing effort to go to waste. I watched them for a little while as he would chase her around the tank and she would hurry swim away and hide from him, this kept going on, I worried that the female needed time out from him. I seperated them, Im not ready to be a mother/grandparent as yet.

So...my male betta has his own souped up little tank now, all on his own. I bought some red pebbles to go with his solid dark blue body and red tinted tail, hes not moving around as much as he was, but Im looking at gradually getting bigger tanks and so I can enjoy their beautiful colouring a lot more.

I have a question though...?

What sort of temperment would you say females have to being in the same tank as other fish, Guppy's, Bumblebee Goby etc. Are they ok, or should I have a seperate tank for the female betta and a new tank for the community tank?

I would like them to all go in together, but when tempers flare it can get a bit nasty Im sure.

:) :confused:

Last edited:

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
It would help if you can give us your tank sizes. Litres is fine or gallons. (approx 4l per 1gal) or give us the dimensions and we can calculate it for you. Plus, any heaters, filter, etc info would be helpful also.

Female bettas are not schooling fish, so they do fine alone. As they get older, they get little grumpy, and might pick at each other and other fish. Keep that in mind for the future, in case the fish I suggest start getting chewed up.

Guppies and female bettas are usually ok (male bettas usually don't like guppies because of their big tail fins). Depending on your tank, neon tetras are good too, but you need at least a 10 gallon (40l) tank for them because they need to be at least 5 or more to form a school. Cory cats are good (bottom feeders) and active too, but again get 4 or more.

Bettas are top level fish, and like that space to themselves. Get some smaller, tropilca community fish that are bottom or middle level fish. A nice 20 gallon (80l) or 33 gallon (132l) tanks are actually a little easier to maintain for community fish than smaller tanks.

Those are the only other fish I have ever had, so I cannot say for sure what other compatible fish for female bettas, but I think most smaller tetras, danios and ottos are good too. Remember, most other fish are schooling, so they need bigger groups so they don't get stressed and sick or die all the time.

whiteangel

Medium Fish
Oct 6, 2003
Sydney west
Iggy

Well, I have a 16 litre tank, which I beleive is about 3 or so gallons, 25 watt heater, medium running filter I spose (I dont know much about filters, so I cant tell).

Its not a really crowded tank, it has a couple of artificial plants, pebbles and a rock feature and that is it, I also use an airstone which I dont think is relevant I dont think, not sure.

I also have a cover for the tank, which has a lamp attached, if that helps at all.

If theres anything else you would like to know, you can get back to me.

Thanks. :)