my new 30g SW tank!!

burtoncb47

Large Fish
Nov 12, 2006
Southern CA
well i just got my 1st SW tank about a week ago! its a 30g tall with 30lb of LR!! here it is..sorry dont know what light)some type of jebo) but it has a mud filter and two powerheads.now hre it is...

heres a close up of the rock work

sorry glass is dirty already been cleaned : \
so is this a good start it has a small clean up crew and two chromis helping the cycle....

Burton

burtoncb47

Large Fish
Nov 12, 2006
Southern CA
yes im sorry i asked myself the same question when i got home with them i dont really even know how the guy soldem to me!!! it makes me kinda mad i think my mom might have had something to do with it!! sorry!!! im doing the best i can with upkeep and everything!! sorry again!

Burton

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
You are on the right path though I agree about cycling with animals.....just keep up onthe water changes and hopefully everything will be okay......keep testing....

How is your water movement with the powerheads where they are? also you might want to get some sort of background to hide the wires and your hob fuge...which is a good idea and will help out in the long run

also, try spreading out your rockwork a bit to create more caves and bridges for fish to swim through....it will add interest and give you more place to put corals or mushrooms when you get to that point....play with it a bit and you will find an appealing mix of caves etc....you have a good start....welcome to the salty side

Nov 12, 2006
Southern CA
water movement is great! there doesnt seem to be any dead spots and i read the more movement the better! so i figured two would be good right? and ya i know about the background..workin on it! thanks for advice on the rocks ill do some moving around and see what i can come up with!! =] thanks

Burton

Nov 12, 2006
Southern CA
yes i had slight ammonia when i got it checked about a day ago....and i dont know much about SW...i read the stickies but im just kinda following steps that ive read and the LFS owner is guiding me through...=[ and he said the rock was cured...so i dont know

Burton

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i have this same tank only mine looks a bit taller :confused: awell if you click on the link in my sig u can kinda see it (i know its not the best pic) out of all my tanks i like this one the least just cause it seems like theres no room ... to have a good amount of rock in this tank it seemed like a tank full of rock lol untill i started adding corals and inverts

Last edited:

FWSWBW

Medium Fish
Nov 19, 2006
tennessee
Hi..don't mean to butt in here but your tank will cycle weather it has LR in it or not. A new tank must form bacteria, this is the cycle..The bacteria will form and then level out. You will have die off on your rock, by placing rock in any new system some of the Live stuff won't survive, ie new water, different levels of SG, Phos, calsium, ammonia, ph, nitrite, nitrate.. etc. Unless it is identical to the system it came out of, and even then it will still cycle some what. You will have a cycle no getting around that..all that needs to be addressed is how big of a cycle you will have. Your clean up crew most likely won't survive, your chromis might if you keep up water changes and keep flow at maximum, keep nitrite and ammonia in check, don't change or clean filters. You should always cycle first then add inverts..at least a month, your tank has to age. Your sand will also send your tank into a cycle..I wish you luck and that guy at the LFS needs a good touge lashing, most will say anything to make a sale..he just threw your money out the window, think of it that way. I'm just glad he didn't sell her a more pricey fish. I once stopped a girl from purchasing 2 seahorses, the tank and all the goodies that go along with it...I am now banned from that store, it was worth it.

burtoncb47

Large Fish
Nov 12, 2006
Southern CA
ok i know i havent updated in a while sorry i havent been online in a couple months!!
so the tank has been up and running for a couple months now and everything is doing great i think my mom might have pushed a lot of stuff and told the guy to get a lot of stuff without talking to me first so i would get home and look at all the stuff we had just got and there would be another coral or another fish or something extra.... i know my tank is a lil overcrowded with fish right now but a couple are going back to the lfs.... and i have about three large corals, two anemones, and a couple colonies of
zoos(sp?) and i cant even keep track of fish : (
pictures will be coming soon!!

and again sorry about not updating for all this time!!

Burton

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
your tank is defintly a bit young still to be adding corals anenomes ect.... and you say you got 3 large corals :eek: what kind???you cant keep track of the fish why??? too many???*crazysmil did your cleanup crew survive???