My poor Bala.

Feb 27, 2009
I would only feed every other day, and sparingly, until the nitrogen cycle is completed. I've had fish in transport for 9 days with no food, and none passed away from starvation.

Dea

Small Fish
Feb 15, 2013
Melbourne, Australia.
Testing my water today, ammonia and stuff are down, in a "safe" level, but my freshwater tank is giving a reading of high salt (which is extremely weird, no salt or anything has been added) and PH.

What do I do?

Completely clean the tank? Or continue with a 50% change daily?

FishDad

Superstar Fish
Mar 4, 2012
Cleveland
FYI Dea, if there is one sure way to irritate experience fish keepers trying to help you it is to say your params are in a 'safe' level. I understand what you mean, but it is an exact science. Any ammonia or nitrite is unsafe and would signify a yet uncycled tank. But if you told us the levels that you measured we could tell you how far from cycled you are.

Just out of curiosity, why were you testing for salt in the first place?

Dea

Small Fish
Feb 15, 2013
Melbourne, Australia.
Okay, sorry. PH. Roughly between 7.5 and 8.0 Ammonia is somewhere around 0.6 - 0.8 Nitrites 0.0 And the nitrates are 0.0 too. I've been keeping up with the 50% water changes. Still have two happy fish. I've started feeding them again. Only very small pinches. The kits I used - NO2 for nitrite. API ammonia liquid test kit. N03 kit for nitrate and profitest for my PH which gave me the high salt reading. Is it because my PH is high? When I went back to the LFS She suggested doing a complete tank clean and starting the cycle again, because the PH tester only gives a reading to 8.0 it could be over, not really a fan of those brands of test kits, only the API ammonia liquid was the easiest to read.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Dea, there's no need to be concerned with pH, especially when your ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are not stable or indicative of a tank that cycled. 0.6-0.8ppm ammonia probably isn't lethal, but it sounds like you've got a way to go before the nitrogen cycle in complete in this tank.

From what we've discussed in other threads, pH is only a concern if it changes constantly.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
No, definitely don't start over. Keep monitoring for ammonia and nitrites and do water changes to keep them at zero (or as close as possible). Eventually nitrates should show up indicating a nitrogen cycle.

If you could cycle without fish you'd wait for nitrites to run high, then convert to nitrates. Nitrites are very toxic to fish, so you don't want any in a tank with fish. Eventually you should see 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrites and 5-40ppm nitrates. On a cycled tank you do water changes to keep nitrates below ~40ppm.

Feb 27, 2009
I agree with FreshyFresh, except I keep my nitrates at or under 20ppm. When I see 20, I do a water change. Everyone has their own way of fishkeeping, and a lot depends on the type of fish you keep. Some are more sensitive to nitrates.