my sons tank

Jan 4, 2007
My son has a 5g hexagon tank that has 2 small koi fish in it that he has had for a few months now.........one that was won at a carnival and the other his mom got for him.......i was planning on moving them to a 10g so that they have more room.......is there anthing else that i could put in there with them other than other koi or goldfish.......the normal temp of his tank is around 73-75 degrees.....i just wanna add a little something else to it, because he love fish and the thing is he is only 2.:)

pondnewbe

Small Fish
May 31, 2006
umm if there koi they really need a huge tank like a pond koi get huge and need plenty of room. prob nothing else will fit in your ten they grow fast and are gonna need something a lot bigger in no time

Jan 4, 2007
well right now i am keeping them in a inside tank until i get the time and money to be able to put in a pond........his aunt gave him a 29g tank that they didnt want but i has no hood.....when they get bigger then i am moving them to that......then when they out grow the 29g hopefully ill have a pond set up for them.....thing is the neighborhood that i live in isnt all that good and the kid probably might mess with them.........so for right know could i put like tetras or something small?

you could add a school of tetras maybe. as for the 5, the goldfish have already maxed it out with their bio load. an option is to talk to a pond shop, and see if they want your goldfish, find someplace to give them away or sell them, such as aquabid.com, once the goldfish are gone you could get 5 tetras, such as neons and or types, any small fish that stays about 1.5".

Dec 30, 2006
Illinois
no need to feel stupid jump freak.. happens to everyone.;)

Tampa..How soon will your pond be made? Koi fish will outgrow the 30gallon fast..and no, you shouldn't add any fish with your koi..koi are not aquarium fish, and will nip on your other fish, kill your plants if you have any..and not to mention, they do let out a lot of waste, and more high chances of ammonia problems in that tank.

Why would they give out koi fish at a carnival???what happened to goldfish? seems odd.:confused:

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
The koi (is it possible they're both goldfish? any chance we could see a picture? do they have barbels -- little whiskers on the sides of their mouths?) NEED to be in the 29 NOW at the very least -- another option would be to get a Rubbermaid tub or wading pool, once they outgrow the tank until you can get the pond built.

Once you get these fish settled in the 29, a small school of tetras in a 10 is certainly do-able and even some African dwarf frogs and a betta in the 5 among some options.

I agree with JumpFreak.
I'd go to your local fish store and ask them if they would take the koi, you might even get store credit for them!
Then with the 5gallon your son has you can get some more interesting fish, maybe a couple of guppies? They come in a variety of colours and are really fun to watch.
THEEEEN, you have yet another 29gal to do as you please with. :]

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
My 2 cents...are you sure they are koi? Usually common comet goldfish are won at fairs, not koi. Koi are too expensive to just hand out at fairs. Either way, your tank is far too small to hold either comets or koi. They MUST be moved to the 29 gallon NOW. Koi/comets are both very messy fish that excrete a lot of waste. The ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels are probably through the roof. You should be doing daily 50-75% water changes on that small tank, just to keep them alive. A piece of plastic, cardboard, or anything weighted down makes an excellent make shift lid for a tank in the interim. Looking at your sig...4 rams should not be in a 29g together. Rams tend to stay towards the bottom of the tank and there is definitely not enough room for them in that size footprint. Time to return some fish and/or get some bigger tanks.

Oct 15, 2006
koi are so much more expensive.. I wonder why koi!!

you will need to minimize feeding ALOT for the time being.. only once every to days..
They might hate it though.
get them into the 29 gallon as soon as possible, and sell them or build the pond soon too.

Jan 4, 2007
i finally had time to look up comet goldfish and i found out that they are comets not koi, but not like that is any better because they still get huge....almost 2 feet long......but these are anywhere between 2.5 - 3.5 in long........earlier this week i moved them to a 10g.......i wanna give them away but my wife doesnt...i just wanna make his tank a tetra tank with different types of tetras and maybe some otos.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
if you want to keep them then get a kiddie pool, just the cheap ones at walmart; a rubbermaid wont give them the swimming room. theyll grow up fast and they have a lot of waste and are also coldwater fish.
if you go with the kiddie pool idea then make sure you either have afilter for it or you do a hefty water change everyday

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Fuzz -- Rubbermaid makes stock tanks as large as 300 gallons. ;)

If you decide to move them over to a wading pool (the Step 2 Big Splash Centers are really nice if you can find one second hand -- >150 gallons) or stock tank (check out PetSmart/State Line Tack, your local feed store, some hardware stores can get them in as well), now is a good time to get pond filters on sale cheap. You can put your filter media and even gravel from the tank (in a nylon stocking or filter bag) directly into one of the chambers and not worry about cycles. Then, when you decide what you are going to do pond-wise, the filter and fish can be immediately moved over. For the time being, a 30 - 80 gallon stock tank/wading pool would be fine.

You can do some really nice things with garden ponds from very simple to really elaborate -- above ground to major excavations. Ideally when you get to making your pond, with comets, they need "running room" -- ideally at least 100 gallons, preferably at least 300. If you're in FL, you don't have to worry too much about depth -- 2 ft is fine, provided there aren't a lot of martens or raccoons around.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2006
St Louis
Keeping the fish in that 10 gal. when they are alread between 2 and 3 inches long may stunt them, which isn't good for your fish. If you are planning to keep them, you should definitly put them in a bigger tank soon so they are able to grow.