MY TANK PICS...ENJOY!

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
flame scallops are tough, the majority of them starve within 6 months, they are VERY specific filter feeders, most people buy them and have no idea what kind of care they require( not saying this is your case salty) and they slowly starve, I can only think of 2 people I have every heard of succesfully keeping flame or elctric flames for more than a year, my LFS doesnt even sell them because the too many novices buy them because they are wicked cool and they end up dying, they do the same thing with mandarins, they will only special order them if they know you have a tank that can support one for its full life span

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
TRe said:
hey salty what size tank do you have??? also about that flame scallop what does it feed on??

My tank at the moment is only a 40gl upgrading shortly to a larger tank when I get my new appartment.

As for the Scallop I agree with aresgod that they are considerd "Difficult" for a care rating. As well aresgod's facts about most dieing within 6months - 1 year due to improper diet is correct. The are a non-photosynthetic meening they do not get there nutrience from light, which in turn means they require very strict supplimental feeding of a varity of filter foods and must be indevidually fed in captivity(via a pipette directly upstream from them) The only reason I bought these and I did reaserch them before I did, is my LFS had 4 of them in stock from a cancelled order and two were already on the verge of death, and the two I rescude were still in okay condition. I did not want to see them turn out the way the other 2 did. The LFS gave me them at about 1/2 price so I took them in and will give it my best.

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
Well I didn't expect to wake up to this.....

Okay so I wake up this morning and go down stairs to check on the tank, do the regular checking temp is okay, filters and pumps all look good and the LionFish does his usual when I enter the room and swims up hoping for food. So I keep looking around the tank and ....wait a minute something is missing, where is my second Flame Scallop! I take a look around the corner of the tank what do I see....It's a seafood buffet for my BrittleStar. It was to late he had devoured nearly all of the Scallop, only a small few spots of red remained. I think I will move the other one to higher grounds. Man so much for trying to help the poor things survive. I'll keep you posted on what happens with the other FlameScallop.