Need advice on stocking a 20 gallon tank

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
I find AqAdvisor to be overly conservative when it comes to stocking - having said that, it is a great tool. If you are a beginner to the hobby and are at 100% stocking or less according to AqAdvisor, then IMO you are fine. If you are a beginner who's even using AqAqdvisor and fussing about the results, you are already doing better than many!!!

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
Overstocking isn't life threatening as long as you are monitor your water conditions and do water changes. I wouldn't about it too much! Overstocking is only an issue when the tank is grossly overstocked like having 10 goldfish in a 5 gallon for example.

Last edited:

fishy_foo

Small Fish
May 2, 2011
Thanks for all the swell advice. Now comes the hard part....waiting !! I still have to wait a week before I can put in 3 more fish. I'll be posting on how things are going. *BOUNCINGS

fishy_foo

Small Fish
May 2, 2011
Cory cats

Hi folks,
I've got my tank with 5 long-finned zebra danios now...and my are they lively ! They gobble up any food I sprinkle on the top REALLY fast.
The local fish store has some tropical fish on sale until the 21st of May, and among them are albino cory cats. I would like to get them about a 7-10 days later. The store says to have 3 or more, whereas a couple of websites suggest 5 or more. Since I have a 20 gallon tank and I'd like to put in some platys later, I'd like to stick with 3 (if possible). Any advice on how many I should get and how to care for cory cats would be great !

Thanks,
Ami

fishy_foo

Small Fish
May 2, 2011
Hi,
I got 3 really adorable corycats a couple of days ago. They seem to be doing fine. I think I'll add one more and then finish by stocking with 4 Platies.

Cheerio,
Ami