Need advice on stocking a new 26 gallon tank

Mandy

Small Fish
Sep 3, 2009
New Jersey
Hi everyone -
Thanks for all the help with my fizzy water fiasco. Now I'm planning ahead for how to stock my new tank. I know I'm a long way off still and need to cycle this tank first, but I get excited to plan ahead and I love hearing everyone else's opinions on how to stock the tank. With that being said, it's a 26 gallon planted bowfront tank. Since I'm new to this hobby, I'm not sure what fish are needed for the tank, for example are oto's needed to clean the algea and cory's to keep the bottom looking nice? I really like the panda cory, golden white cloud minnow and the flame tetra's are neat looking. Any suggestions with one or more of those fish would be really cool...
So, can't wait to hear your suggestions -
Thanks again,
Mandy

Mandy

Small Fish
Sep 3, 2009
New Jersey
Hmm - that's a good question - I guess community fish. The cories are really neat looking. I believe I read somewhere that they should be kept in groups of 6, but that seems like a lot for my size tank. I wouldn't have much room left for anything else.

Sep 10, 2004
Texas
Visit site
I too have heard that cories should be kept in groups of at least six but I have had my two for the last five years (or more) and they do fine. As far as community fish go, I really like the dwarf gourami's. My favorite is the neon blue. Once you get your tank set up, post a pix so we can see it. BTW - my 30 gal tank consists of one red tail shark, one female blue betta, two glowlight tetras, two cories, one yellow fish and one orange fish. (I don't remember what kind the yellow and orange fish are and they had a baby.) Good luck. :)

Mandy

Small Fish
Sep 3, 2009
New Jersey
Thanks for the input Fishwhisperer...
What do you think of this idea?
4 panda cories = 10 in
2 flame dwarf gourami = 4 in
6 rummy nose tetra = 12 in

I looked up those fish and they all seem to have similar needs as far as temperature, pH and kH readings, but I'm not sure if they work well together. Also, would I still need an algea eater in the tank of some sort? Thanks again for all the help and I can't wait to post pics once it's coming along :)

Mandy

Small Fish
Sep 3, 2009
New Jersey
Eeesh - new game plan...
So, I cut a deal with my sister - she's going to take my goldfish off my hands if I take her betta. I didn't want to deal with an extra tank and since I heard goldfish are difficult to keep with other types of fish, I was planning on running two tanks. Now, I'm thinking about ways to have a community tank with the betta in the 26 gallon so I can start off nice and easy with 1 tank. Here's what I was thinking - let me know if it sounds ok.

1 male betta
4 false julii corydoras
5 cherry barbs
6 rummy nose tetras
I know this goes a little over the 1"/per gallon rule, but I've read these fish need/like to be kept in groups. All suggestions appreciated :)

hayer

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2009
i think that sounds great! i love rummy-nosed tetras! where do you find them though?
You will need to do frequent water changes though. You cold do a school of three instead of six.

Sep 10, 2004
Texas
Visit site
Good switch with the goldfish. Your tank sounds good. Although the 1" rule was originated long ago and with today's technology, filters, pumps etc are better, it will be very wise to do more frequent water changes as hayer suggested. Good luck. :)

Mandy

Small Fish
Sep 3, 2009
New Jersey
Well, I went to PetsMart yesterday to look around and get some ideas and I couldn't find any of the rummy-nosed tetras :( I saw them online and just sort of assumed they wouldn't be hard to find. I guess I could always order them from the website I saw them on, but I'm not sure yet. I'm also very excited about not having to run multiple tanks for now. I figure the worst case scenario will be if the betta is a little aggressive, he can always go back in the betta tank (fairly small and easy to run) and this way I won't have to plan everything around him. I'm also a little concerned for him, because my filter seems to run a little strong and with the air bubble wall, it might all be a little too much current for him to handle so the betta staying alone could turn out to be the best plan for now. My next question for all of you is which type of fish could I use for a centerpiece that's fairly small, bright and gets along well with cherry barbs and rummy nosed tetras? Thanks again - look forward to reading your opinions

Mandy

Small Fish
Sep 3, 2009
New Jersey
They are very pretty and I'd like one of those. My only concerns were that through my reading these threads, I've noticed some people saying their dwarf gourami was somewhat aggressive and that I wouldn't have room for more than one. Would a dwarf gourami do alright in a tank without another dwarf gourami? Do you think it would attack the cherry barbs, tetras or cories?

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
If anything the cherries may be aggressive and I wouldn't risk adding more than one gourami of any type. You could get a type of dwarf south american cichlid like a bolivian ram or apistogramma in that tank.

If you go to a smaller mom/pop shop you can maybe ask them to order you the rummeynoses if they have access to them. Also some bigger stores like my petco sometimes orders specific fish for people.

stoddern

Large Fish
Jul 26, 2009
Vermont
I have a dwarf blue guarami and it is only slightly aggresive to my golden guarami I assume over territory since they are very territorial with each other as a species, I also have 2 danios right now and both gourami leave them alone if not being spooked by the constant, fast, playful swimming they do, granted tetras are smaller then danios they should be fine since they are a very active fish

Mandy

Small Fish
Sep 3, 2009
New Jersey
Awww -Love it! I'm so excited to have this tank running with these awesome fish. I'm really jazzed about getting a dwarf gourami now, too. I think I like the powder blue type or the neon blue. I'm going to scope out a mom&pop shop too, and see if I can have them order the rummynoses for me when it's time. I can't help but to get ahead of myself :) I want it to be planted, but boy are those things expensive. I bought a bunch when I purchased the tank (on a whim and before reading up- of course) and needless to say, they pretty much wilted away to nothing :( Huge waste of money...
Now that I've got my community wish list I'm going to learn a little on planting the tank and give that a try. Thank you all so much for the help and can't wait to see what it will turn out like. Will most definitely post pics, too. Any suggestions for some easy beginner plants for a black thumb like myself? My tank is lighted with one of those hood lights the tank kits come with??? Not helpful, I know, but I threw out the product specs already...
Also, about how often and how much should my water changes be once it's all good to go? I'm just hopeful and curious about the maintenace schedule. These five gallon buckets are a nightmare to trek up and down the steps all the time :)

Sep 10, 2004
Texas
Visit site
I use a two gallon bucket, more steps but not as heavy. I wish I could help you on the plants but I use plastic plants. I do know planted tanks are much harder to keep so I wish you the best of luck. Keep us posted. You may challenge me to do something more difficult. I do a water change in my 30 gal tank either once a month or every two months. Of course, my tank isn't full of 30" fish. I have about 14" of fish so I don't have to do it as often, although I do think I need at least one more maintenance fish.

stoddern

Large Fish
Jul 26, 2009
Vermont
I find with a planted tank that having a plant specific substrate is better but not necesary, I use seachem flourite, in fact anything from seachem I find is a good product Seachem I also use seachem flourish as a fert, I havn't found plants to be really be that expensive, what I have is in my signature and I am thinking about getting some dwarf baby tears aswell

Mandy

Small Fish
Sep 3, 2009
New Jersey
@ Stoddern - I guess it's all relative... The plants I purchased at Pet'sMart were 4 @$9.99 and 2 @ 6.99. Maybe I wouldn't have thought they were so expensive had I not killed them so quickly - lol. They're still hangin in there a little, but I'm pretty sure I'm seeing the beginnings of the end for them. They're starting to turn brownish and some of them are getting slimy looking leaves. What is plant specific substrate? Do you use it in lieu of gravel or with it? I'd hate to have to pull all that gravel out now.

stoddern

Large Fish
Jul 26, 2009
Vermont
the flourite I use is a form of an Iron rich clay that has been turned into hard rocks it's like it's been puffed up like puffed rice, the iron won't leech into the water but as the roots grow through it they will take what they need out of it, you can use it by it's self you can mix it I like to layer it so I have nice looking gravel on top but the roots are actually planted in the flourite either way doesn't matter also to note unlike normal clay this stuff won't clump up and turn into a slimy mass in the tank, if your plants have brown, slimy dead parts trim that crap off and get it out of the tank, if you can see it then you don't have snails or fish that eat dead plant matter and you don't want it in there it will bring down your water parameters and just like any other plant leaving dead parts on it will lowwer it's over all health, when you plant the plants make sure you hold it so the roots extend from your palm down the bottom of your index finger when you push it into the substrate start with your finger horizantal to the gravel useing your finger to guide the plant and protect the roots, once in give a light tug on the plant you want to straighten the roots out you don't need more then an 1/8 inch pull back up, also read up on your plant, most plants have a small ball between the green plant and the roots (most anubias and bananna plants) you want the top of this ball above the gravel so it can get direct light for optimal plant health, this part of the plant will grow horizantal and start to produce root runners the same way the grass in your yard does 2 blades of grass 20 feet apart are really the same plant connected by roots. make sure to space your plants so they have room to grow so they aren't crowded, and most important do you know what you have for lighting? plants like either natural sun bulbs in the 5500k-7500k range or bulbs with big peaks in the reds and blues, if you go with a red/blue peak bulb it will make the fish color stand out but make the tank look kinda dull in apearance over all, if you go with a sun simulation bulb tank looks brighter and more vibrant while fish colors fade away, thats why most of use use differant bulbs at the same time, you could try a very low dose of plant ferts everyday or every other day to try and save them, make sure it's an aquarium fert. seachem's flourish is very good and fish safe if dosed as the bottle says over dosing on ferts can hurt fish since ferts have trace metals like iron and copper and other stuff, also as an after thought how much surface movement do you have? most ppl don't realize the best way to get both oxygen and co2 into the water is surface movment (the ocean doesn't have co2 injectors or bubble walls) simple agitation of the surface is great for gas transfer, a HOB is good if you manage the water lvl so that the waterfall doesn't splash or make noise but is enough of a drop to make small ripples also big air bubbles like the ones from an air powered sponge filter really ripple the surface, on larger tanks 50g or bigger you really do need the co2 but most ppl neglect simply putting a water jet/current maker near the surface of the tank, if you think you need co2 but want an easy way to do it seachem excel has a soluble form of carbon for the plants, remember plants need co2 during the day and oxygen at night