Need advice on stocking a new 26 gallon tank

Feb 27, 2009
Mandy;560519They're starting to turn brownish and some of them are getting slimy looking leaves.[/QUOTE said:
If the leaves are brown and slimy, remove them. Plants cannot repair a leaf, only replace it. Some plants will melt down to almost nothing before beginning to grow in your tank. Some fish stores buy emersed growth (grown in very wet environments, but not underwater, as its faster to grow more plants that way). The leaves that were above water often cannot handle being submerged, so will die off. The plant will then produce a type of leaf that CAN handle being submerged. Bottom line is: if the leaf is falling apart, transparent, or slimy, remove it. It is only decaying and that will drive up the ammonia in your tank, just as a dead fish would.

Do you know what the names of the plants you bought? A lot of chain fish stores in my area sell 'Mondo Grass' as an aquatic plant, and no matter how well you take care of it, it will die. It is not an aquatic plant.

You can do much better on plants from other plant folks. I am starting up two more aquariums this weekend, so have been letting my other tanks overgrow a bit to be able to plant the new ones with trimmings. Normally, I have enough trimmings to fill a 10gallon tank every week. Lots that grow plants do, and some sell or give them away for the cost of postage. I got started with my current plants for a total of $18, including the shipping cost, and completely filled (actually had to throw some plants out) two 29 gallon aquariums.

Last edited:

Mandy

Small Fish
Sep 3, 2009
New Jersey
Ughhhhh.... I just did a quick search on those "tubed" plants I bought from the pet store the other day so I could list what I bought and guess what.... my search turned up a bunch of non-aquatic plants! That's pretty annoying. To the best of my ability I found pictures of the plants I bought and it looks like I got some ribbon plants, anubias, an amazon sword and two fern-ish looking plants (fern-ish ones are doing the worst). Anywho, I'm about to scrap all but the little anubias and maybe the amazon sword - they look the best out of the bunch. Clearly, I should have read up on this beforehand. Planting seems a little more in depth then I'm ready to dig in to right now, so this may get put on the back burner and I might pick up a few more plastic plants in the meantime. Again, thanks for all of the helpful info and suggestions.

P.S. on a side note - I have a friend who just got a few new cherry barbs for her tank (they are so cute and playful, which is why I definitely want some in my tank) and she just noticed that the smallest one in the trio has a mouth that seems to be stuck open. She said she didn't see any gravel in the little guy's mouth and he seems to be pretty active, but can't seem to close his mouth in the last day or so. I figured I'd ask all of you since this site seems the most likely place to find a helpful answer.

Feb 27, 2009
Anubias and the swords are aquatic, but the sword will likely get huge unless its a dwarf or micro.

Not sure what to suggest for your friend. Might want to post in the Disease section of this forum, those that help with fish problems may offer some insight. I've never had that happen to a fish, so I'm not sure what could be wrong.