Nerite Explosion!:eek:

Ok, Knew something was gonna happen... been talking snails, and... when I got home from work last night I was doing ritual feeding and cleaning when I noticed some tiny white spots on the glass of my 55 gal...no biggie, right... thought it was just some substrate stuck to the glass so I go tthe magic wand out to knock the spots off and... instead of just falling back to the substrate these tiny white spots popped into milky white substance:eek:... UH OH, got to looking a little closer and those little white spots are every where, on the driftwood, on rocks on plants and on glass... so I started trying to figure out what they were and low and behold... one of my Nerite snails goes truckin' by while I'm sitting there staring at the tank dropping these tiny little white spots behind it/ her. I dont know how many of my nerites are laying eggs but I have 7 of 9 nerites left in the tank and as of last night hundreds of eggs... I'm going to have to watch them close to try save any because I'm sure my GSP will have a field day when they hatch or whatever it is they do... Updates later*crazysmil *celebrate

Most ppl say they are marine but I did some research on them and found that they are found in both brackish and freshwater conditions as well... as far as being able to find them find a lfs that deals with marine setups (i.e., live rock, inverts, ect) and see if they have them or can get themif not, you can find them on ebay or if any of mine survive the GSP pay fo rshipping and they are yours

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Congrats on the nerite eggs! They are definitely in demand in the planted tank hobby.

As far as I know, the adult nerites are fine in freshwater, but need brackish water to breed. There are at least a couple of species that do well in brackish tanks.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
WOW they bred in brackish?!?

Erm ok guess I was wrong in my other post LOL. That's too cool! You have a little gold mine on your hands. People pay thru the nose for them suckers.

Yea, I paid about $2 apiece for my original 9, not sure of species, they're kind of brownish green with black markings or vice versa (black w/ brownish green). Like I've stated before my SG is 1.013 +/-, Ph 8.1and the snails have been in my tank for about 2 months now maybe a little longer and obviously they're doing great. The 2 I lost were due to GSP harassment, as far as I know any way.

UPDATE:

Seems that the tiny guys are moving about a bit. Ive noticed that some of the ones that were on the glass are in different places than before... or matbe its just "Old No. 7" talklin' tonitght...lol*celebrate lol. Actually noticed them last night, but just got home3 PC back up and running tonight so I'm having my favorite cocktail *celebrate. Anyway, thats my update and as long as my pc keeps on working I'll post picks of tanks and snails soon

Would you mind posting your params?
I'd love some nerites but breeding them, or raising them rather, is the tricky part. Adults some of species will live breed and lay eggs contetedly in freshwater but the young are very difficult to raise. From what I've read they go through a free-swimming larval phase which requires full marine or high-end brackish conditions.
Very interested if you're getting success!

I'm not sure yet if I'm having any success, lol. They are still tiny and havent changed much in the last week, however they did go through the free swim phase, or at least thats what I believe, because the are spread all over my tank (see my last post).

Parameters: SG 1.013 +/-
Ammo. < .25 mg/l
Nitrites < .3 mg/l
Nitrates < 20 ppm