New 29gallon Project

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I've rarely read of people having an issue with cycling if they add rock and wait/test. There's really no need to add anything other than the live rock.

It's a good idea to test that all the equipment is running with freshwater before you put saltwater in. It gives you a chance to test all the equipment, etc. without the fear of having to drain the tank of saltwater and start again. Obviously, don't put rock/sand/fish in the freshwater :p

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I agree with Lotus and all.....just let the live rock cycle your tank.....less problems that way. From experience.....don't go with the cpr bakpak....go with an aqua c remora hang on....with the 1200 maxijet upgrade. You should be able to pick one up on ebay or through an online supplier like marine depot etc for a good price...should be around $150 but worth every penny....I am not sure but you may have problems fitting both light fixtures on the tank....for the price of 2 nova's couldn't you find a good 24" with appropriate wattage for what you want?

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
The problem with the single 24" is that I wouldnt be spanning the entire 30" of the tank. So the bulb would actually be around 23"-22" in a 24" fixture and that wont do it for me. The depth of the tank is 12" and the 2 30" 48 watt T5 fixtures combined are 11". So basically I would have to move one to feed and maintenance. Thats the only issue I see so far. Anyone else have another idea for lighting? I want the strongest I can get for a decent price. I can get the 2 48 watt fixtures (96 watts total) for around $130.00. If anyone knows of a MH fixture for around that, I would appreciate it! Thanks guys and gals!

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
I cant get away from this stuff! So addicting! I can see me dropping a couple grand into a small 29gallon! Geez! HAHAHA

Oh well, its a relaxing hobby to me. I enjoy fish and aquatic creatures so much. Well worth every penny!

Thanks

Anyone else have any thoughts about my lighting situation?

Whiskers

Large Fish
Feb 29, 2008
central Michigan USA
i would go with the 30" MH that has the 12 lunar lights. $150 off the regular price is a nice deal. i don't have a salt tank and don't know if the lunar light help or just pretty look but the automatic timer is a bonus.