new critter.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
Well yesterday i went to a friends with my computer to see what was wrong with it and we were sitting there discussing his kids guinnie pig. I mentioned that i was thinking about getting another rat like the one i had when i was 13. he looks at me and says "well how about a chinchilla?" I kinda looked at him and said, but thats the kids pet. he explained his oldest kids ignore it now, his wife wants nothing to do with it, he is tired of taking care of it, and all it does is bite his youngest daughter cause she used to torment it. he texted his wife and she said as long as i don't kill it and eat it i could have it lol. so now i have a little white fluff ball to play with.

seems like it's already at home here and has already started to beg me for things lol. I gave it half of a raisin and i left the cage open so it could get to it's dust bath. hell it came over and jumped on the couch and sat there begging me for the other half of the raisin. hard to say no to something so cute.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
When I was a kid, they were advertised as a way to make money - for their fur. I finally realized you had to kill them to get the fur. Now they are sold as pets and they sure look cute, but how do they do with dogs and cats??

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
They are super soft and cute - waiting for a pic, exhumed! I've always known them to be pretty skittish but I assume, like any other pet, the more attention and gentle handling they get, the more sociable they are.

Mulder

Small Fish
Aug 10, 2013
Yooperland
I love rats. Guinea pigs, not so much. I'm up to six rats now, since I've somehow become the local "rat sanctuary". They are WONDERFUL pets. Extremely social, and just like little people. Only downside is they have suchshort lives. Chins are adorable, but I don't have the cash to buy one outright and set it up properly.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
mine don't seem to mine my lab thyra. i obviously don't let it out of the cage when my dog is in the room. I don't think emma would try to hurt it in any way but she might try to play with it and hurt it or give it a heart attack. .

as for being skittish CAPS, they have to be tamed. and it's a slow trust and bonding thing. My friend didn't have time to realy do any of that so it's not super freindly atm but i'm already making great strides. she comes to the cage door when i'm near it and she is already starting to beg. she is not thrilled on being held yet but she is ok with a little petting. From what i have read they tend to get more affectionate as they get older. so only time will tell :p

Mulder, I enjoy rats as well. they all have personality and are great beginner pets. mine i'd forget to close the cage and it would be cuddled up by my neck alot of times when i would wake up. as for the chinchilla i have never priced them or asked my friend how much he paid for her or anything. I do know i need to get more dust and more food for it this week though. kinda wonder how much that stuff costs lol.