New empty tank,any advice??

d3sc3n7

Superstar Fish
Nov 21, 2007
Ft. Campbell, Ky
www.d3sc3n7.com
Hey guys, don't get me wrong, I would never actually suggest NOT cycling a tank. I was just trying to say that you don't HAVE to do it...and that it is quite possible for your fish to live w/o it being done. Yes it is going to put stress on them, and make them not very happy.

Sorry for any confusion,

-Jay

Dec 17, 2007
London,UK
I am definately going to cycle the tank,so no worries there, but still cant find any pure ammonia.
Have tried Boot's,(Dont know if ours differs from yours,but they didnt have it)
have tried a few of our big grocery stores, (Asda,Tesco,Sainsbury's,Woolworths) tried B&Q's,(Looked at me like I was an alien) even tried Ebay,with no luck.
I have two more small shops near me that seem to sell anything and everything,(hoping I might have some luck there) and i've browsed through another forum,whereby someone has posted there that Homebase sell it.(Haven't tried there yet either) On this same site might I add,someone had also posted to someone else,that using their own urine will cycle the tank.(This I am not doing,:rolleyes: )

Is there anyone here from the UK,that has actually brought some from somewhere here? If so could you please tell me where?
Thanks Chloe

Dec 17, 2007
London,UK
After a LOT more searching I think I might have found some,but its under a different name,(Says the same stuff on the bottle,but different manufacturer) I've emailed the manufacturer to find out the ingredients.
Have found it on Ebay for £4,for a 5ooml bottle,(Found it on some online stores but it was a bit more expensive)

Has anyone heard of,or knows if its ok,its called Amo Kleen Household Ammonia.(Hopefully its the same stuff,under a different name)

Chloe

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
does it have the ingredients on it? Chances are that it'll be ok as long as there aren't any things in it like perfumes and dyes. Best would be to just have ammonia and water in it.

Dec 17, 2007
London,UK
Yeah,I knew what I was looking for,but the only place I came across it was online,whereby they only had the pic of the front of the bottle,and didnt list the ingredients.

Found some!
For anyone in the UK,needing it,I found it in Homebase.(£1.99 a bottle)

I'm all set now,so hopefully it wont be much longer and i'll have a cycled tank to fill.

Thanks for your help,Chloe

Dec 17, 2007
London,UK
Need help......(again)

Hello to all! and hope everyone who celebrates it had a very merry Christmas!

I'm not sure if the tank cycling is going in the right direction.
(I've been following Iggy's cycling recipe)

Here goes....I set the tank up,it was running for 2days with nothing in it,(Had no ammonia)
Finally got some ammonia,so (By following Iggy's recipe) turned my heater up to get the tank to 84F, (Tested the water before I added anything,and ALL readings were zero,except PH of 7.5) added the small ammounts of ammonia to get the tank to 5ppm,it took a 5ml medicine spoonful.

Left the tank until the following evening(Trying to test and add at the same time everyday),
Here are the results so far,

23/Dec Ammonia=4.9 Nitrite=0
24/Dec Ammonia=4.9 Nitrite=0.3
25/Dec Ammonia=7.3 Nitrite=0.8
26/Dec Ammonia=7.3 Nitrite=0.8
27/Dec Ammonia=7.3 Nitrite=0.8
28/Dec Ammonia=7.3 Nitrite=1.6
29/Dec Ammonia=7.3 Nitrite=1.6
Have only been adding the ammonia,(Like it says) once a day,right after I test it.
7. It will take about 3-5 days for your ammonia levels to go to 0ppm after 24 hours, and the first of the two bacteria cycles to complete.
Ammonia levels dont seem to be going down,do you think I should change some of the water,or leave it for now? (The test kit i'm using is the Nutrafin master test kit,if it makes a difference)
Or is this still early days,and i'm worrying over nothing :eek:

Any input,again would be welcome

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I'd stop adding ammonia for now. Chances are good that its a lot higher than you show there. Only start adding that 5ml a day after your ammonia is dropping to 0 each day. Good that your nitrites are going up!! :)

Dec 17, 2007
London,UK
Hello again,
Think I might be getting somewhere now,took your advice and stopped adding the ammonia.Just been testing at the same time still.
Since my last post,my readings have been

30 Dec ammonia (none added) 7.3 Nitrite-2.0
31 Dec ammonia (none added) 7.3 Nitrite-2.0
1 Jan ammonia (none added) 5.0 Nitrite-3.3
2 Jan ammonia (none added) 0.6 Nitrite-3.3

I decided to test the Nitrate which was at the highest the test would go,(110)

Am I understanding right,that I should now start adding my 5ml,of household ammonia,(To keep feeding the nitrites) until they 'eat' it all within 24hrs,and until the nitrates bring the nitrites to zero?

I know i'm probably making this more confusing for everybody,but dont want to rush it.*thumbsups

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Yep. Now that your ammonia has started to go down more quickly, I'd put 5ml in and see how far that brings it up. I'd also test before you put another dose of ammonia in because it might not be consuming all of the ammonia in 24 hours yet. If you test 24 hours later and its nearly to 0 again or gone then you can be safe to put 5 ml in a day. Progressing nicely! Keep up with the patience :)

Dec 17, 2007
London,UK
Yay,*BOUNCINGS
Think I might be grtting somewhere, what do you think?
Been putting the 5ml of household ammonia in for the past couple of days,(Since last post) and when i've tested 24hrs later,the ammonia has tested zero,BUT the Nitrites are starting to go down,tonight they tested 1.6. The Nitrates are still at the highest level,but that wont change until its fully cycled,and I can do the complete water change,

Hopefully not long now!!!
Thanks for all your help,but will probably be picking your brains some more,in helping me decide which fish to fill it with

Dec 17, 2007
London,UK
Hello,ALL!
Need help again,
Its been nearly two weeks now since ive been adding the ammonia daily,and its returned to zero when tested within 24hrs,BUT the nitrites dont seem to be budging,they are still at 1.6.The nitrate level is still at the highest measurable amount.
I knew this wouldnt be 'quick' but I was expecting some kind of change in the nitrite level after 2 weeks,even a small one.
daily levels when tested have been

Ammonia,0 nitrite 1.6 Nitrate 110
Is there anything anyone can suggest OR have I just got to be more patient?
(will a part water change help?)

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Yep, thats exactly what I would suggest. Do a partial water change and see if that helps. Sometimes it can get "stuck" at this stage. Sometimes you just have to wait...but I think since they already went up and started coming down that could be a sign that its stuck.

Just be VERY careful about the water you put back into the tank, make sure its dechlorinated and very close to the temperature of the water in there...you don't need to shock the bacteria you already have built up.

Dec 17, 2007
London,UK
Great!! Its a bit late here tonight,but I will change some of the water tomorrow. I was only going to do 25% to start with,will that be enough ? (Or would you recommend more)
Went out today to check out one of the potential fish shops,all seems good there so i'm getting impatient.*BOUNCINGS

Dec 17, 2007
London,UK
Hello FroggyFox,

Yes I did do a water change,and it was only about 20%,(Didnt have any replies,and werent too sure,so thought at least if I do a little and its not enough I could always do another)

Havent messed with the water since though,Posted another thread (about my two test kits giving different readings) because I think this one is a little long and drawn out now and nobody seems to be replying,(Only you *SUPERSMIL )Didnt know which test kit results to go by.

To be honest I've got sooo much going on at home right now,I feel like emptying the tank out and starting again.*ALL*

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
ah sorry I will go find the other thread. But even if you empty the tank and fill with all new water you won't be starting over. Just be sure that the water you're putting in isn't extremely hot or cold, make sure its been dechlorinated and then add some ammonia in there. Then continue monitoring as usual. Your tank might be cycled right now.