New fishy tank!!!

LukeHawk

Medium Fish
Feb 20, 2006
Hello everyone, my name is Luke and I just got my first, very own fish tank in my room!!! woo hoo!!*SUPERSMIL

here is what I have:

1) Tank size: 60cm in length, 30cm in width and 30 cm in height.
2) Under gravel filter
3) Gravel
4) 3 plants
5) thermometer
6) Daro Twin Aquarium Air Pump
7) light

I will be getting my heater the same day I get my first fishies.

I used rainwater in my tank instead of normal tap water, the dude at the pet store said that that is the best thing to use, but if I used rainwater, do I still have to add the Anti-Chlorine drops?

I get my first fish on Friday, I was thinking of getting some Bettas, but I hope my Petstore has some, oh and mabye a few Neon Tetras.*thumbsups

Is there anything I am missing in my fish tank?

wesmuns

Small Fish
Feb 15, 2006
just a thought

I don't claim to be an expert but surely you should have a test kit and test when your water is ready to receive the fish rather than saying Friday i'm free - that's when i'll fetch the fish??

Just a thought...

LukeHawk

Medium Fish
Feb 20, 2006
Well, the dude from the petstore said that in a weeks time I could put fish in it. I bout this whole kit thing and it didnt have any testing kit, I'm only 14 and am new to this whole fish tank thing.

Dec 23, 2005
Wisconsin
First of all yes you will need to use the anti chlorine drops and second you need to get aquarium salt. Ask your pet store for dosage pe litre. I would get your heater ahead of time so your temperature is right. Then you have to let your tank cycle. This is a process of when ammonia nitrite and nitrate kick in. Adding fish will be okay in 30 days. Then your cycle is complete. So in order to cycle, have everything set up and running with your tank full of water and just wait 30 days. For your stocking purposes Dont put bettas together. They will fight with each other. Get a Male Betta and no other bettas. So far you have 1 Male Betta. Then yes you can add neon tetras. I would get 6 of those. Then I would get 6 Harlequin Rasboras. To Learn more about these fish go to www.liveaquaria.com and go to the section freshwater fish then look them up.
This is what your tank would look like:
1 Male Betta
6 Neon Tetras
6 Harlequin Rasboras
1 Pleco(an Algae eater that is a good clean up crew)
If you don't like this example then this is a criteria for you
1-2 medium size fish(Bettas, Gouramis)
6-12 small schooling fish(tetras, danios, rasboras)
1 Pleco(Algae eater)
Well there you have it good luck with your tank!

wesmuns

Small Fish
Feb 15, 2006
your not alone

I had my first tank when i was your age and i did it all wrong! things went quickly from bad to worse! - I did not monitor my water infact i'm embarresed to admit i did not even have a test kit! what i suggest you do if you don't have a test kit, as they can be a little expensive for someone of your age, is take a couple of samples of water to your pet store. Explain to him that you have not tested the water and are a little concerned things may not be matured enough. He should then be able to test your water in store and check things are okay. If so you can go ahead and get a few hardy fish to help cycle the water in your new tank. Also try to introduce just a few fish to start with - it will cause less stress to the water.

Hope this helps!

LukeHawk

Medium Fish
Feb 20, 2006
AUGH!!!! I cant wait 30 days!!!!, oh well, lol.

that does help, I will take some water to the pet store on friday.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2005
Missouri, USA
Rainwater? Acidic and way too soft. Next to zero-buffering capacity + probably tainted from atmospheric contaminants (mercury, nitrous oxide, sulphur dioxide, etc.). Scrap it, get some Start Right, Stress Zyme, and start over using tap water.

Your tank has 7.9 (call it 8) gallon capacity. Roughly one cubic foot. General rule is one inch of fish per gallon of water. You need to cycle the tank for a bit. Read the beginner sticky thread.

Plants should be plastic for a beginner. Seriously.

Betas; for multiple betas you are limited to getting females. Otherwise, you get one male. That's it.

Neons are sensitive. Since you're a beginner I recommend two platies or sail-fin/lyre-tail mollies, a corey cat, a small oriental algae-eater. After a month with no problems, I'd consider adding no more than four neons.

For cycling the tank, I recommend getting a few feeder fish, returning them to the store once the tank has cycled, then buying your ornamentals.

[edit to add]
That dude at the pet store doesn't sound very knowledgable. I'd find a different dude or a different store.

Last edited:

LukeHawk

Medium Fish
Feb 20, 2006
To many sciency words!!!, jokes, heck, I dont know anymore, I'm getting so many different replys!!!!, I'm all confuzzled, to the library!!!!

wesmuns

Small Fish
Feb 15, 2006
!@££$@!

What are you doing on here asking for advice if you are 'funny' about members pointing out where you have gone wrong, and what you should do for the best, you do understand what a forum is don't you??????

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Smalltank3 I would suggest you do some more research before trying to give advice.

-Your water sample on Friday will be fine, no ammonia, no nitrite, no nitrates...however thats because you dont have anything in the tank to create waste. Most likely what will happen is that you'll get the fish, then in a week one will die, you'll take another sample into the store and the 'dude' will say you need to add some magical cure that only costs 5 dollars, so you'll buy that and add it to the tank, it wont help...so you'll come back here asking what to do.

- You dont need aquarium salt.

- With the rain water you probably dont need anti-chlorine drops...but you probably will need a water conditioner still that deals with other 'stuff' in the water. Like Etheostoma said, I dont know what the chemistry of your rain water is...but chances are good that you dont want to use that because it can change all the time. Tap water is probably your best bet.

-The fish that smalltank suggested is WAY too many for your tank. In an 8 gallon tank you want to maybe go for some hardy fish like zebra danios...and an apple snail. The Neon tetras would work in a small tank like that...but you may be better off getting cardinal tetras, they are usually a little more hardy.

I have to agree that the guy at your local store doesn't sound like he knows how to set up a tank...you'd probably do better off doing your own research.

Please just take note that this hobby has so many different ways to look at it...you asked for advice and you're going to get it, but what you need to do is take everyone's advice with a grain of salt.

PlecoCollector

Superstar Fish
Aug 21, 2005
Clinton, NY
I was 15 when I got my first fish tank (hey wait, I still am... xD) and I really didn't do the test kits until my 2nd tank. Still, getting a Master Kit for Ammonia, Nitrates, Nitrites, and pH is probably a really good idea :)

The guy at the petstore really doesn't seem to know what he's talking about, which isn't your fault at all. But a lot of people here know some really helpful stuff. So here are my two cents, but follow any information you choose:

Read some of the Sticky Threads on this forum. They'll tell you about Cycling and stocking your tank. I'm not too fond of fishless cycles, I'm impatient too. :p I've found Neon Tetras to be pretty hardy through cycles, as well at Platy, but that's up to you which fish you get. I've heard that Bettas don't do well on cycles, so I'd stray away from them. If you can find Bio-Spira, it'll help your cycle so that you can put fish in right away.

On the water, I suggest using good old tap water with some Aqua-Safe or a similar product to remove the chlorine.

But definitly read the stickys, they'll help you a lot! :D Best of Luck!

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
LukeHawk,

Welcome to the forum! I'll have to agree with what FroggyFox just said. Just letting a tank sit for a month will do nothing to cycle it UNLESS it has some fish in it to produce waste, which in turn allows the growth of the beneficial bacteria you need in there in order to have an established tank.
(the only exception to this is "fishless cycling," which I think you should stay away from for simplicity's sake, since you are a beginner to all of this).

I'd stick to tap water (add some conditioner to remove chlorine/chloramines before putting water in your tank) for the reasons mentioned already.

Your first fish should be hardy. I can't necessarily recommend using feeder fish, as I feel that they may introduce diseases and/or parasites, etc., into the aquarium which may prove harmful to the tank's future inhabitants.

For that reason, I highly recommend bloodfin tetras (5 or 6, minimum). They are very hardy, long-lived, beautiful fish that are quite suitable for a beginner. Do a search for these and look at some photos of them. The red coloration in their fins will actually fade if they are distressed in any way, which gives you a good indication that some adjustment in your tank is needed (usually a water-change).

I'd stay away from neons and cardinals altogether. They may survive if introduced after your tank has been cycled, but I wouldn't bet on it. I've heard bad things about both of these fish, and I've had a terrible experience with neons (despite my water parameters being perfect).
Still, if you plan on getting some, then make sure you don't do it until AFTER your tank has been cycled using other, more hardy fish.

Good luck with everything. Everyone on this forum...from the most seasoned experts to the beginners such as yourself...has made mistakes and learned the hard way at one time or another. That is part of this hobby.

The trick is to learn from these mistakes, and try your best not to repeat them.

One of your biggest challenges at the moment will be to decide what information and advice you should or should not accept from not only your fish store "dude," but from people on this forum as well.

Remember, everyone here means well and wants to see you succeed...
BUT...there are other beginners here on the forum who, with the best of intentions, may provide you with less-than-ideal advice.
Like FroggyFox said, take everything with a grain of salt, and browse through some of the other threads and posts throughout the forum.

***Pay special attention to the sticky threads in the beginner's section of the forum, as they will help you get started successfully.***

Best of luck to you. :)
Big Vine

pigs_fly

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2006
Texas
Hey! Just wanted to wish you good luck!! I'm goin through some beginner troubles myself. believe me, it can be frustrating, but it will fall into place :) Don't give up!! And don't feel offended by how some people reply to you....they really do mean well, even if they may seem rude, i promise. Good Luck to ya!!

Aug 23, 2005
bellaire, ohio
it is rather satisyfying to find you fish living month after month, then slowly all the "scientific" stuff will all start to make sense. in my opinion the key to starting a good tank off right is lots of water changes, if you dont want to buy a kit (but you really really should) just change your water every day, or every other day for the first month or so. guess i should point out, dont do complete water changes, just about 30-50%. id read the the thread about cycling, and dont let that guy at your fish store tell you anymore bad myths. when your fish die, the fish store are the ones making all the profit.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
First, listen to Froggy -- there's plenty of good advice there!

Instead of buying fish Friday, no matter how badly you want them, why not check out what they have and see what ~really~ appeals to you. Keep in mind, some fish aren't anywhere near as pretty at the store than they are in a great tank. When you see a few fish that appeal to you, write down their names (preferably those long scientific ones that you think you'll never be able to pronounce) and post them here. I don't know which species are readily available in South Africa and you might have some pretty cool fish to choose from that would never occur to us to suggest! :)

Remember, NO FISHIES! Just shop, grab a heater, go home, do your research, get it right the first time. You'll be amazed at how much heartbreak and expense you'll save yourself. (just read the forums for cautionary tales) Heck, why else come here for advice? ;)

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Good point Seleya...patience is key. It might even be a good idea to hold off on getting substrate and tank decor until the tank inhabitants have been more or less planned out.

Some prefer certain environments (color-wise and structure-wise, plant-wise, etc.), and so planning the tank around the species might not be a bad idea either.

I'm learning this the hard way---I need to swap out my 12 gallon tank gravel with a substrate that is more suitable for the blue crayfish (that is getting too large for my smaller tank), and for the tetras that I now house in my 12 gallon setup.

And Seleya made another great point...you may have access to certain species that we've hardly heard of outside of your region. Best to go on a few "scouting missions" first before you try to complete "the hunt."

Good luck.
Big Vine