new here, yep im a piranha freak

JeLeAk

Large Fish
Jan 4, 2005
Alaska
mikekellys2nd said:
...and leave the head and there would be a buncha minnow heads in my tank was awesome if ur into grutesome killing

sorry i just cant help my self, a picture i took, of when my prianaha was finishing his lunch :D

scubadude

Large Fish
Aug 20, 2005
carthage,MO.
Suprise spawning

Hello all! I finally got on!(I'm not so good with a computer.) Anyway, I'm here because my red belly P's have spawned twice only two weeks apart. Totally unexpected. The temp was only 78 and their in a 55 tank. I had always hoped for it, but from my research believed it to be impossible. The first batch was a total loss. All that hatched wiggled to the bottom of the gravel and perished. Second batch was only 1\2 to 3\4 as many eggs. Removed gravel did 1\2 water change(this is in fry tank) so far so good, but having cloudy water, would do another water change but I'm afraid to use 55 tank water because I'm treating for hookworms .*#&!! Going to do the best I can with these fry, but for now have turned the temp down on the 55 in hopes they will calm down and give femal time to "reload". Any tips or suggestions for keeping fry comfortable I will be very thankful for. Water temp, filtration, PH, also would like info on hatching brine shrimp. Also, I would never sell my pair but I'm wondering what they are worth as a spawning pair. I've had them for about 4 yrs. I'm so glad I found this site info on RBP's is scarce!

Nov 21, 2005
i owned a piranha for a few weeks. it was purely on accident that it ended up in my care. i was getting a fishtank from a evicted home and ended up with more then a fish tank. i got about 50 guppies and two piranhas. one died within the first hour. the second one was stubborn and refused to die. we finally found it a home. nothing against them i just couldnt have them in my home with my 3yo boy and my 9month old daughter. plus i needed the tank for other fish.

kane

Small Fish
Feb 15, 2006
michigan
well,I dont own piranahs anymore! BUT I did love em when i had them.
I did like to watch em eat just as much as i like to watch my africans eat pellet food or flake food.I guess it is a guy thing because i dont know any chicks that like them. JMO.

OH ,why would you be on the predatory board if you dont like that kind of stuff anyway?

kane

Small Fish
Feb 15, 2006
michigan
I read the whole thread and it reminds me of what i get from people because of my pits!(american pitbull terrier)
kind of the same ignorant responses!!
when people ask why you own that type of fish or dog or cat or whatever,and you give them an answer and now they want you to explain yourself,well heres what i tell em, GO F#$K YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Feb 8, 2006
Vancouver,British Columbia
Hey, there's a difference between fish and other animals and I say this, because 'other animals' are more 'domesticated' and are ususally breed for certain reasons. Now I am not saying that fish haven't been breed with each other to get a certain end result, but its more true with other animals for example dogs. And with your above thing on pit bulls thats what they were breed for their aggressive stance. Now... To say that all pit bulls are attack dogs is ignorant, and a lot of what kind if animal you have is what kind of owner you are.

Just wanted to say that, but there is no undeniable fact that some animals are predatory and others are not.

kane

Small Fish
Feb 15, 2006
michigan
I dont know for sure what your tryin to say!
So im gonna say this. If you mean that because i own a supposedly agressive dog that means im agressive?
Not so!!
I am when provoked by ignorance!!

I simply used the "thing on pitbulls" to make a point!
To judge someone by what kind of animals OR FISH that they keep is ignorant.

Feb 8, 2006
No thats not what I meant at all, lol sorry that you misunderstood that thread, I was saying that for the case of "pit bulls" they are an aggressive breed but how aggressive they are and to whom and to what situations depends on the person that owns the dog. So if you are a person that loves their dog and doesn't have an attack dummy in their back yeard the chances of your dog attacking someone, is VERY SLIM... thats what i meant

kane

Small Fish
Feb 15, 2006
michigan
well,how about getting back to fish!
I see you have a few piranah and was wondering haw long you had them and if you have any pics of the set up?
I have been tossing around the idea of setting up another tank and im not positive what i want to keep in it.I do have it narrowed down to orange pike cichlids or red bellys.I really want some red belly's but was told by a few people not to put gravel in the bottom of the tank and I don't think I would like lookin at a glass bottom all the time.
Is there truth to this and if so for what reasons?

Feb 8, 2006
well I have gravel on the bottom of mine and they are doing fine. If you do put red bellies in you arne't going to be able to put ANYTHING else in wit it, even plecos are subject t getting eaten. But the alternative to getting gravel is gettig sand. The reason more people like sand is because, well now this is just an assumption it resmbles the pirahanas natural state more. And looks better with live plants and driftwood etc.. I have blue and white gravel in mine and I think it looks fine.

I've had my three pirahannas for about 5 months now, and they were in a 25g tank adn are currently going into a 60g tank, with live plants etc.. etc.. I do not have any pics of my set up other than the one pic that is on the side there with my profile of my pirahanna in the first month. I kinda lost my dig camera in a drunken nite.... Well thats what I've been told. But i"ll try to get some pictures of my set up by the end of the week.

kane

Small Fish
Feb 15, 2006
michigan
I wouldn't put anything in with them.
I have a 50breeder african tank now and i like the tanks dimensions and was thinking about getting another one like it. how many redbellies could i keep in it and what would be the best filter to use?
I like bio bag filters alot would that be good?

Feb 8, 2006
well apparently I am no expert but many ppl say the rule is 20g per fish, so in a 50 g you could get away with 3. Its just that disappointing thing that when you first acquire pirhannas they are usuaally quite small, and 3 pirhannas in a 50 (or in my case a 60g) tank makes them look EXTREMELY TINY, but they grow quite rapidly with regular feedings. I'm using a penguin 350 bio-wheel filter in my 60g tank and a Aquaclear filter in my 25g tank, (which I plan on moving to my 60g tank once I finish the transfer for my pirahannas. For Filters, its whatever you are comfortable with, bio-wheels make a lot more noise, because of the water run off but I like them. Just make sure you get a filter that is a bit stronger because pirhannas give off a lot of waste, becasue of excess food that they won't eat etc... But I've been reading if you have live plants in your tank it should help with the 'nitrate' (??) levels, and you will only have to do water changes every week instead of vacs all the time as well.

HOpe that helped, and didn't just confuse you lol