New member & beginer - please help

noni

New Fish
Apr 22, 2006
I apologize if this subject had been disccused before, but I have had my 55gal tank for more than 2wks. I bought 3 green tiger barbs,5 orange platies,3 black mollies & (I think) 3 white mollies. One of the white mollies swam up & down for the first 4 days or so, then died. One of the black mollies died a couple days later, but I didn't notice any stang behavior(but what do I know). I noticed 2 of the barbs seemed to have been fighting (looked like they were kissing). One would chase the other all around, but didn't bother the 3rd. I also noticed the chased barb stayed at the top & stopped eating while the chaser barb kept the 3rd in a corner all the time. 2 days ago the chased barb was gone too. I have added auquarium salt and quick care drops to help them adjust, but this morning 1 of the platies had died. I now have 1 platy & 1 of the last 2 black mollies staying in the plants or at the top. Is there anything else I can do help from loosing any more fish?

Mar 26, 2006
enterprisesteaks.com
I dont mean anything negaitive here, but there is so many things wrong, and so many reasons.

#1: A 55g is NOT a starter tank. A 5 or 10 is. In fact you can buy all you need to start a tank in a kit. TopFin sells some really nice ones.

#2:The fish you picked out are not starter fish. You should start out with either guppies, or goldfish, perhaps some swordtails, until you learn a little more about having a fish tank.

#3: It sounds like your tank is still cycling, you can read more about this on the site.

#4: You picked a mix of school fish and none school fish. Your going to run into problems that way as far as the pecking order.

#5: To fix your problem, and this might suck, but I would stop. Take the fish out. Drain the tank. Take it all back. Buy a 5 or 10g starter kit. Buy some books about fish behavior and take it from there.

I hope I was helpful, I am sure others will try to help you out as well:D

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Welcome to MFT Noni! Sorry for your fish losses...

Even though I agree that you should have done some more research before setting up your tank and putting fish in it...I disagree with Jaws on the size. A 55 is a GREAT beginner size. A bigger tank means more room for fish and more room for mistakes as you learn. A tiny tank is much less forgiving.

I would agree that your tank is cycling. I would suggest you check out this thread: http://myfishtank.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19568 and read through it. This thread is part of this thread: http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31669 which lists some more great threads that you should probably read.

First thing I would suggest would be to get some test kits. There are chemicals in the water that will cause your fish to die. You should either pick up a "freshwater master test kit" (aquarium pharmaceuticals) or, if you're tight on money you really only NEED the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate test kits for now. I would advise getting the types of tests that you use a test tube and a dropper instead of strips that you dip into the water. Drop test kits are easier to interpret the results as well as less expensive per test.

When you've read up on cycling and can tell us what your ammonia/nitrite and nitrate tests are...we can better help you out with getting your tank cycled and safe for fish.

As of right now, it would be in your tank's best interest if you make sure not to buy anymore fish to replace the ones that have died.

You should also do a water change (using dechlorinated water about the same temp as the tank). If you dont have a water siphon/gravel vac then I would definitely get one at the pet store when you're there, along with a bucket or two. Depending on your finances, you might want to look at investing in a device called a Python...its a gravel vac/water siphon that attaches to a sink so that you dont have to lug buckets when doing water changes. During the cycling process you're going to need to do a lot of water changes.

AND last comment...the fish you picked are great beginner fish, but I think before you decide what you really want to stock the tank with you should read up on the specific fish. (there's a link to our profile section in the upper left hand side of the forum) Some of the ones you picked dont go with others that you picked. You'll find by reading which fish go with others, which ones need a group of at least 6 to be happy and how big they get etc.

Good Luck! Keep us posted.

Jan 27, 2004
Nipomo CA
First order of business: Welcome to the tank

Jaws69: I would disagree with the fact that a 55 gallon is not a starter tank. Its a great tank for starters. The larger capacity allows little changes in water parameters that might be fatal in a ten gallon. Also it gives the new fishkeeper a wider range of options in stocking adding more interest to the tank so more time is spent on taking care of the tank. I would definatly keep your 55 gallon and not go for a ten gallon. Look at salt water tanks, it is generally regarded that nano tanks parameters can go outa wack faster then a larger tank taking more time in testing the water and less time enjoying the tank.

Also I would disagree with the use of goldfish as a starter fish, even in a 55 gallon let alone in a 10 gallon they make way to much waste and are better for large tanks with few fish or in a pond. The tiger barbs are definatly schooling fish so a couple more would do nicely(After your tank has cycled)

You never have to buy any fish books, I have found that my local libarary carries many good fish book that I can check out any time and when I have read the book I just return it and I have more money to spend on fish.

Froggyfox has covered most of the basics so I wont rehash anything he already said I just wanted to clear up so of the things I disagree with in the other post.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Jaws, I'm not sure I agree with a 55 not being a starter tank. I think noni will have a much easier time keeping the larger volume of water stable. A 10 gallon will sink or swim very quickly, with very little reaction time available to deal with any problem.
The problem here as I see it, is that noni walked into the fish department, received either no advice or extremely poor advice, and the fish place ended up selling her/him a whole bunch of stuff he/she was way undereducated to make good buying decisions on. How dare they; but they do it to novice fishkeepers every day of the week.
Noni, welcome to the world of fishkeeping. The folks here, including jaws69, who is a nice and knowledgeable forum member and frequent contributor here, are ready and willing to help with advice to get you up and running. If you listen to the people here, especially the mods, who have a lot of experience in fishkeeping, you'll be fine. :)
Okay... first things first.... Read the stickies at the top of the beginner forum. Pay careful attention, maybe make some notes if that's your style, it's very important information.
Secondly, I concur with jaws that the fish they sold you are totally inappropriate for a beginner with a just-set-up tank. You need to decide between cycling fishless or fish-in. When you have read the stickies you will understand what that means, so keep that question in mind as you read. I would take the fish back-- they should accept them since they basically set you up for failure by selling you a new tank and all those fish at the same time-- and use the money or store credit to get test kits. You will need tests for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate during your tank's cycling as well as later.
If you just have a few fish left and would prefer trying to save them and rebuild from this point on, you need to do partial water changes every other day at least. You can take a water sample to the store and have them test it. Make them tell you the results for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. DO NOT let them tell you it's 'fine' or 'not good' or some other generalization. You need numbers. Write them down, you will need them when you post on the forum and ask for advice. Get the test kits if at all possible so you can get your own results quickly instead of having to run to the fish store.
I'd go ahead and do a water change immediately, maybe 30-40%, being sure to match the water temperature and add the appropriate amount of dechlorinator. Your fish are probably dying of ammonia and/or nitrite poisoning. A water change will help.
They should have sold you a few zebra danios or some other hardy fish if you were going to cycle your tank with fish. I hope that the ones you have left can survive the cycle, but if they don't, try not to beat yourself up over it, this happens to new fishkeepers alot. Stores tend a lot of times to sell people inappropriate fish and other unnecessary or even harmful stuff. But you can come out on top over time. Coming here was a gret decision on your part. I know it saved me and my fish a lot of misery. :)

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Also... if you receive conflicting advice, which will happen since we are all talking from personal experience here, usually the moderators and the super fish are more experienced, though we do have some teeny weeny fish (newbies) and little fish who have years of experience but have recently joined our forum. Personally, I've been keeping fish seriously for only about a year and a half. I now have a 50gallon, two 29's, two ten's, and a betta in a 2gallon vase, along with a couple miscellaneous ventures. So definitely take advice from bigger fish than me if I say anything that conflicts with what they say. :D

pigs_fly

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2006
Texas
Welcome to the tank Noni, you have found your sanctuary :) Pretty much everything was covered above, so get to researching and good luck with everything! Keep us posted!

noni

New Fish
Apr 22, 2006
OHHH MY GOODNESS!!

I'm a fish killer. Thank you ALL for your advises. Taking back the tank is not an option for me, since I had it in layaway at Walmart and I can hear my husband now "I told you so". I did check on compatability (I thought) before I went to Petsmart, but I was kinda drawn to the "pretty" fish, since I wanted to have the tank setup by Easter (how vain, right?) I would like to try to save the fish I have & certainly change out some of the water today.
4 inches about right for 55 gals?. Petsmart did suggest Danios to start, I didn't get any as you know. Depending on the price I will try to get a test kit and do alooooootttttttt more reading. I was planing to get a bottom feeder today, but I guess not now. There is sooo much I wasn't aware of and I didn't do all my homework first, but all of you have helped me tremendeously to get on the right track.

I will keep you posted, I am determined to make this tank successful.
Wish me loooootttttssssss of Luck

THANKS ENDLESSLY. :eek:

pigs_fly

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2006
Texas
you can buy fish from wal-mart. there is really no difference between wal-mart and half of the petsmart/petcos out there. So, if you are going to say never buy fish from wal-mart, you may as well say never buy fish from corporate petstores....

Mar 26, 2006
enterprisesteaks.com
Oh, I am sure we can forgive you LOL:D

That is why I was saying a 5 or 10g for a starter tank, because you may not like having a fish tank, and if you give it up, the cost isnt much. Now you have this big 55g and are like :confused:

dont worry though, if you do your water changes and get a test kit you should be fine.

We are always here to help, Good luck!!!*PEACE!*

Mar 26, 2006
enterprisesteaks.com
pigs_fly said:
you can buy fish from wal-mart. there is really no difference between wal-mart and half of the petsmart/petcos out there. So, if you are going to say never buy fish from wal-mart, you may as well say never buy fish from corporate petstores....

careful pigs fly, Walmart is a sour subject here. I 100% disagree with you and I could go on and on about how petsmart is WAY better and how they seem to know alot more then most places but I wont. I have a party to go to. I am turning this over to the others, I am sure they have alot to say about this statement.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I'd highly recommend that you try to find a good, independently owned fish store. They generally give better advice, give you better service, and often have better (healthier) fish.

If not, try out all of the local chain stores to find out which one has the best, most helpful staff.

Good luck with the tank, and remember that water changes are a good thing! :)

srangel

Small Fish
Apr 18, 2006
Los Angeles
www.myspace.com
Welcome to the club noni! I agree with you keeping the 55gallon tank. I am no expert in tropical fishes. But i just got a 5gal tank and i am returning it for a 10gal. I used to have a 40gal filled w/ cichlids. I had a school of convicts, 1 parrot fish and i also included a fighting fish. I then later discovered i had fry convicts. They are mouth brooders and its not that hard for them to reproduce. Did i use the right term? Fry for babies right? Okay, well my 1st tank i got altogether when i was back in the Philippines was a 10gal, a 15 hexagon, and a 40gal. The 40 was filled w/ cichlids. The 10 mollies and swordtails, the hexagon a mix of tropicals. The easiest to take care of was my blind goldfishes and cichlids. They were on sale for very cheap because they were very blind. They had not eyes, no site and i felt sorry for them.
so i bought them all from the petstore and kept them in another 10gall. so i had a total of 2 10gals. And they were all in my bedroom I so very much miss having an aquaria when i moved out here in cali so i just recently got a 5gal. But i think i am going to return it today and get a 10gal or a 20gal. Smaller is better for me at this time and point of my life due to the fact that i move around alot. This site has helped me alot. Thanks to all of you out there replying and responding to my inquiries. And a warm welcome to you noni.

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
A few good points have been made but I just wanted to make one of my own. :D Tiger Barbs are an aggressive schooling fish. The more that you have the more the aggression is dispersed between those in the school. The less you have the more the aggression is dispersed to tank mates. In other words you need to have more than 3 Tiger Barbs in your tank. I reccomend at least 7 (28 inches total). I wish you luck and I hope that everything works out with your tank. *SUPERSMIL