New Rock

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Here are two pictures of my new rock. I am quite pleased with the shapes of them and can't wait until they are cured. The fedex weight said there was 37.5 pounds so i got more than I paid for. I just wish I could have affored quicker shipping.

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I took them out of the water just to get a pic. There is about 37 pounds there and I paid 2.25/LB and about $30 for 3 day shipping. It was fedex ground, but since it shipped from the east coast it didn't take long. Next time though I will atleast get the 2nd day service. I got the rock from ebay, it's actually walt smith live rock. It's going to take at least a month to cure so I'll post a pic when it's done.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
You never know, it may not take that long to cure. I would brush it well to remove any dead stuff and then put it in the bucket, do steady water changes and monitor it. You could be looking at a shorter time....depends how much die off there is. How was it wrapped when you got it? Was it good and wet?

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I'm going to change the water twice a week and scrub with a tooth brush each time. I do not have a skimmer on it, but I think doing the water changes will help. It was wrapping in newspaper and plastic. It was still a little wet, but it went through about 3 1/2 days of shipping then sitting outside because the fedex tracking number didn't update when it came. Otherwise it would only have been outside for about an hour. Instead it was about 6 hours. I really hope I gets some life out of it. I tested it today and the nitrite was starting to go up. Do you think there would still be decent life on it in a couple months?

Last edited:

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
it's not very sticky and yes it cures underwater. You should be fine with the rock. Just keep up the water changes and maybe check your ammonia/nitrites to keep them down and reduce any further die off due to ammonia spikes.....sounds good.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
You know an easy option for aquascaping is to build shelves with pvc pipe and place your rock on it. ? Otherwise I would connect the pieces with cable ties rather than epoxy. I am not sure you can epoxy the pieces together and have them hold while you place them. besides, cable ties will allow you to change your scape later if you need to