New Set Up

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Okay here it is so far. I finally have it to the point where I have water and fully cured live rock in the tank. I am hoping for a quick cycle given I used cured rock and it was never out of water for more than 5 minutes.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
It looks great! Nice looking rock, too.

Good luck with the cycle :)

I love those ammonia alert badges. It means I don't have to test daily. I don't count on them for accuracy, but it's a good enough ballpark to know if it's low, medium or high.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
next a clean up crew and fish and a few choice corals. I am going to be pretty picky as to what will go in.....

Tre, it isn't really an all in one. It is a package that is put together though. Comes with sump, skimmer, and light and all the plumbing overflows etc. which I ended up redoing.

I modded the light tree and added a vortech m20 for flow my own heater etc. The cabinet to the right holds all the electrical which i like as water and electricity in close proximity makes me somewhat nervous.

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
So, its time for me to learn something, TRe, why are you not a fan of all in ones. I am guessing that the companies that put the tank setups together put in equipment that is sub standard or is there another reason. I was going to go the all in one route when I first started, but wanted a bigger tank.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
okay going through some diatoms.....will add some snails for a cleanup crew and a few peppermint shrimp if I can find any locally to deal with a few aiptaisa that are popping out of the rock. Can't wait to add fish.....but I am a patient sort.....well maybe not as much as I need to be.

Didn't see any ammonia spike just a very minor blip......I added some flake food to initiate the cycle but saw very little ammonia. Should I add more or assume that as I used fully cured live rock that my cycle is very short and minor?

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Well I am pretty darn sure it is also. A minor diatom bloom which is perfectly normal.....so today I added the stuff from my old set up I had saved.....some zoa's, rics, an open brain and a small lobo and duncan. A new pair of true percs....5 turbos and 12 nassarius snails over the past few days.....

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
Agh, I was looking all over for the "like" button, like on facebook. :rolleyes:

One day I'll be able to set up my salty aquarium... till then, my protein skimmer and refractometer will keep staring at me... teasing... :eek: