New Tank - ~45g

Kalavek

Large Fish
Aug 2, 2008
Vancouver BC
Still no sign of nitrites (unlike Froggy's tank), but there is a difference in the surface tension of the water now - the bubbles are acting differently underwater, and staying longer on the surface.

Also, the alkalinity seems to be on the rise.

Last edited:

Kalavek

Large Fish
Aug 2, 2008
Vancouver BC
I wasn't sure yesterday, but after my water tests this morning it looks like the ammonia is slowly dropping off - but no nitrite or nitrate. Alkalinity is the same as yesterday.

Why would the ammonia drop off without a rise in nitrite? Unseen algae? Maybe I can't read an ammonia test?

I've added some more ammonia in an attempt to keep the level up around 2 to 4ppm.

Kalavek

Large Fish
Aug 2, 2008
Vancouver BC
Hang on a tic, I just had a thought - please, someone confirm or deny this possibility:

I've been seeding this tank with well-established filters from my 25g, and putting in ammonia to give the bacteria something to eat while the colony settles into the gravel and filter. I've also been waiting for some sign of nitrite and (later) nitrate, as an indicator that the bacteria are balancing out to meet the abundance of ammonia.

BUT....

... in seeding with those filters, this isn't going to just introduce the bacteria that converts ammonia into nitrite - it would introduce the other beneficial bacteria as well.

Is it possible I won't see any readings for nitrite or nitrate, because they're being processed and removed from the water as fast as they're being produced?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
There's usually some interim time between going from ammonia to nitrite that your ammonia will be going down and your nitrite hassn't built to a detectable level yet. BUT you are very correct that all of the types of bacteria are being transferred to the new tank when you seed it. Thats why I suggested doing it every few days because every time some of the bacteria transfers over, if there isn't any "food" for that type, its not going to take hold and start multiplying... I'm guessing you'll start to see nitrites real soon :)

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas

Kalavek

Large Fish
Aug 2, 2008
Vancouver BC
I remember that thread - too bad it didn't get narrowed down to a cause. But I can't discount the possibility that "something else is in there". After all, it's a new tank with new gravel and a new HOB filter - any of these things might have been a little contaminated. I first noticed a difference in the surface tension a couple days ago, a day after I'd put the gravel in. I didn't really spend a huge amount of time rinsing it - the bag claimed it was pre-washed and all that jazz, so in theory the only thing that should have been present was a very small amount of dust.

All my water tests (Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, KH, GH, Phosphate) have appeared normal, so I'm in the same boat as Deepfathom was - no clue what's actually causing the foam.

I'm going to try removing anything on the surface of the tank, see if the bubbles come back - this might just be a film of some kind on the surface.

Plee_cO

Large Fish
Nov 5, 2006
Daytona Beach, FL
looking good
i love the style of the tank
i dont really see too many of those around (i guess its outdated) now all i see are the bowfront ones
i would have to say though that tank would be a great saltwater tank lol

Kalavek

Large Fish
Aug 2, 2008
Vancouver BC
I'd just like to touch on the issue of surface foam in a new tank again.

I spent some time surfing around for other people claiming issues with surface foam, and came up with a potential cause. Some threads described lethargic fish and foam on the surface - several people responded to these with suggestions of ammonia buildup, recommending water changes and replacing filtration systems.

I'll come back to the topic after the tank cycles and let you know if the foam goes away when the ammonia drops off. If it doesn't go away I will likely do a complete water change and wash down the gravel - but I'm hoping I won't have to do this.