new tank and new molly help

JarreT329

Small Fish
Jan 3, 2011
New Jersey
hey i just got a dalmatian molly last night. the store said they prefer aquarium salt. should i do the whole aquarium salt deal? and if i do, will other fish be affected by it if i get another fish or 2 in the future? and can my dalmatian molly live with a catfish? i feel like i need a bottom feeder to help clean out my rocks. and how often do i need to clean my tank and do water changes? any advise will help. thank you!

jamiejay09

Large Fish
Dec 14, 2009
England
Hello, yes its true molly's do prefer to be in salt water, but they dont need it, i kept and bred molly's for years, all without a single teaspoon of salt.
as for catfish mollys do great with corydoras catfish, they are small bottem feeding catfish- great for a community aquarium.

Cleaning your tank is an important task that needs to be carried out regually and responsibly, weekly water changes of around 25%, using water conditioner to remove chlorine and heavy metals from the water you put into the aquarium. how many gallons does your aquarium hold? And has it been correctly cycled?

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
Aquarium salt (kinda a medication) is very different from salt used in aquariums to make saltwater. You shouldn't add salt to your tank unless all your fish can handle it as molly's can be kept in fresh or saltwater happily (as jamiejay09 already said).

A bottom feeder isn't going to clean your gravel besides eating excess food and possibly algae. When you clean your tank you should vacuum your gravel to clean poo and other decaying matter. You should do a water change weekly and change between 25% to 50% of the water (depending on how stocked your tank is).

More details on your setup would be helpful....

JarreT329

Small Fish
Jan 3, 2011
New Jersey
thank you for the feedback. my tank is a 10 gal tank and i had already put water conditioner in before i got the molly. i let my tank sit a while before i got the fish. he seems to be doing good so far. i talked to the guy at the store and he said an emerald cory catfish will be fine with the molly so i bought him. right now i just have those 2 fish and i want to learn how to clean the rocks while having fish. i have a gravel vac. and was wondering if i take the fish out when i use it?

oo and i have a snail

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Nope, you leave your fish in the tank while you use the gravel vac. Don't try to vacuum them ;)
Wondering if anyone at the store told you about getting your tank 'cycled' before adding fish? When you have a brand new tank, you need to get certain kinds of good bacteria established. What kind of water conditioner are you using?
Oh, and welcome to myfishtank.

JarreT329

Small Fish
Jan 3, 2011
New Jersey
thank you! and i use aquarium pharmaceuticals brand. and i had a plant in there before i got fish and i had a gold fish to build up some bacteria. then i had an ammonia problem which killed the gold fish. then i used the conditioner after i used the gravel vac and now i am nervous about ammonia again. how often should i use the conditioner/gravel vac?

and by the way, i like your avatar picture of your cat outside your fish tank!

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Thanks! That's one of my kittehs watching her entertainment unit ;)

Here is a quick read about the aquarium nitrogen cycle:
http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/information/CycleAquarium.php
This will help you understand a little more about ammonia.
Ask if you need clarification.
You should use the gravel vac every week when you do your water change. You should use your water conditioner as directed every time you add water to your tank.

Aug 13, 2010
Sicklerville, NJ
Welcome to the site!

Do you have a method of testing your water parameters? Most of us here us the API Master test kit. If you get your water tested at the store, make sure they are using a liquid test kit and have them write down the exact readings for you.

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
treat the water (in a bucket, etc.) before adding it to your tank. I'd add 1tbsp of aquarium salt (not instant ocean) per 5g. Most fish (including emerald cories ;)) can tolerate these levels and all my livebearers really appreciate salt.
Cories need to be in groups, I would *eventually* add 1 more emerald cory and 1 more molly, but first get your tank all cycled before you even think about stocking!

JarreT329

Small Fish
Jan 3, 2011
New Jersey
yea i agree. i want to try to learn how to maintain the tankk before i add more to what i already have. so i should let the new water settle with the conditioner in it before i put it in the tank?

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
You can add the water conditioner to the new water in the bucket and let it sit for a few minutes - that's fine. What's the name of your water conditioner?
And when are you planning to go back to your lfs? Ask them to write down your current levels of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. See if you can buy the liquid test kits so you can test the water yourself - it's by far the most important investment to make at this point.
We'll help you get your tank cycled.

JarreT329

Small Fish
Jan 3, 2011
New Jersey
thank you i appreciate all your help so far. i went to the store today and bought an ammonia and ph scales that get stuck to the inside of the tank and will let me know if the levels get too high. and i use stress coat+ by aquarium pharmaceuticals it says it removes chlorine chloramine and ammonia in tap water. what is a good brand of test strips because i looked at some today at the store and they were like $10 for a little kit. seemed expensive

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
I don't know how accurate those scales are but getting tests for nitrite and nitrate would also be helpful for you. Liquid test kits are the best not strips (which are often inaccurate). I use API liquid test kit and that costs around $30CDN (which I think is a good price for how long they last). Fish keeping is definitely one of the more expensive hobbies but worth it (although spending the money can hurt...I know it does me)!!

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
According to several people who have tested the strips against the liquid - they both work fine. But the reason the strips soon become inaccurate is that they are affected by humidity - just by leaving the container open or touching the other strips with your fingers, accidentally dumping them, etc. Also, in the long run they are actually more expensive.

JarreT329

Small Fish
Jan 3, 2011
New Jersey
ok thanks. i will try to look for the liquid test in the store. so far i did a 15% water change the other day and my fish still seem perfect. the only problem i have is feeding my catfish. i feel like he is not eating at all. is it because he is too shy to get the food? my molly seems to eat most of the food i put in and the catfish seems to not move at all. i try to get some to sink to the bottom for him

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
Ummm emerald corries arent really corries

They are the species Brochis while corries are Corydorus. They look like corries which is why they have the name "emerald corry" in the pet store. They generally reach 3" but can get to 4" thus are TOOO big for your tank (you should take him back :( sorry i know they are pretty)