new tank cycle

JEP

Small Fish
Mar 22, 2005
Elgin, IL
1) "Get LR asap" is that not what I said!? The bio conditioner is a booster I recommended in addition to LR so maybe his fish won't die, you could do worse using a chemical ammonia remover. If he didn't already have fish he wouldn't need it and could just wait then. It's funny how my advice gets shot down, yet while browsing this site, I don't have a tenth of the problems people here have with aquariums!
2) "Often known as pollution in a bottle"? By whom? How the hell would you know?! Have you used it? Have you taken it to your private lab and had it analysed? It is non-chemical, simply live cultured bacteria, the same species that is found on LR. This isn't rocket science.
3) I'm done wasting my time here! I'm not the one having problems!

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
I don't get it..Dial said that he would buy some LR, why insist ?
Maybe you don't have probs but some people do, and the whole point of this forum is to share info/help. I have a filter with bio-max, and yeah when i had very little LR, it helped a little..so not a bad idea, but it will not do a lot.

Anyways, looks like you had a bad day..peace man

*SUNSMILE*

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
sorry if you took the post the wrong way, I was simply saying it was a waste of money, and wont do what LR does way better sorry if you took it the wrong way, as i said before it was just my opinion....

dial

Large Fish
Jun 8, 2003
Australia
dialmedia.com.au
yeah thanks. i should have just listened to the board forst and not the FS. ill get some live rock tomorrow and a skimmer. ill let the tank naturaly cycle dosent worry me if it takes a month. better safe than sorry. plus gives me time to save up for a chiller, and think about how im going to do a sump.

cheers aron.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Dial - the reason I'm pointing you to those books is because it's a lot easier if you see the big picture, and understand a bit of the background to what's going on. Also these books are from very experienced, knowledgable authors who likely have more experience than your lfs. If they say A and the lfs says B, then the answer is likely A. If you really want to find someone to trust , find someone who services aquariums - they usually know how to set them up bombproof.
Anyway the Paletta book is pretty cheap, and well worth the money it will help you save.

I think JEP is right, get the ceramic media back in the fluval to help with the nitrafying part of the N cycle. Yeah , you might get nitrate buildup but you can deal with that later.

But I tihnk Cycle et al are all just junk. You get more, and richer, bacterial colonies from the live rock.

JEP

Small Fish
Mar 22, 2005
Elgin, IL
Unbelievable! When have I said anything else about Nutrafin? Show me. When have I flown off the handle except this thread? I've been very polite and helpful to others. My "beef" is that if anyone gives advice on this site except certain people it gets annihilated. I have been keeping aquariums for 25 years fresh and salt and have a degree in biology from Northern IL Univ.; 25 years, I'll bet the majority of you aren't even that old! But oh, I forgot I'm pushing products for my company, my Ferrari is getting old and I need a new one anyways.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
the nutrafin joke was....a JOKE.
Aresgod didn't meant to hurt ya.
If you wanna help others that's fine.
No one knew your background/experience since you're new here..and i don't think boosting your credibility by saying that you have a bio degree and you're older and experienced will help now.
I'm 29 and a 19 y old guy CAN help me.

dial

Large Fish
Jun 8, 2003
Australia
dialmedia.com.au
ok i went to a GOOD fish shop today. and basicly it was going to cost me $100 for an internal skimmer (and looking at it, it was pretty big) or $100 for a sump tank (custom built - as i need it custom built to fit my cabinet) and $250 is for a good skimmer that sat in the sump. or $500 for a complete setup. sump, skimmer and trickle filter system + overflow box. getting a quote on wednesday next week. i think ill be going for the complete setup.

cheers aron.