New Tank pictures

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
So I just moved to Boston, and while moving I decided to set up a new tank, here are the specs,

40 gallon breeder, 36X18X16, it was a little difficult to aqua scape, but I think for the most part I am happy with it, I had forgotten how much LR I have ~ 80-90 lbs in a 40 gallon tank.

lighting Current USA Sunpod 2X150 Watt HQI metal halide 14K bulbs...so sweet.

still the same protein skimmer, the aqua-c remora, and 2 seio's one 620, and 1 840( i think it is.) This gives me ~ 1460 gph, plus 75 gph from the skimmer almost turning the tank over 40 times per hour it is so sweet, very turbulent.

That is all I have for equipment in the tank.

Inhabitants, 2 clowns and 1 goby/pistol shrimp pair, various hermits, snails etc...

Corals include a hammer and a frogspawn, various mushroom colonies, and small sarcos that dropped off my other large colony. I sold my mushroom rock, 100+ shrooms on it, and my large leather, and with the MH setup will be investing in mostly sps for the rest of the tank with a larger number of inverts as well.

here are some pics.
First day, partial move, only about half the LR, and no fish, letting the sand settle down.

Fourth day, rest of the move, LR fish, inverts and corals

LEDS

all lights on

hope you guys like them,
Brahm

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
"eggcrate" is sold as light difuser for flouro lights at your local hardware store...it is used to keep jumping fish from actually making it out

Looks really good brahm! looking forward to hearing how the MHs work out for you!

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
I am really liking the MH, temperature wont be an issue during 9 months out of the year, but right now it is running a little hot ~ 82, which is higher than my prefered 78, but still tolerable. Next summer a chiller or a portable AC unit will be in order... I am not sure the rock work will stay the way it is, but I think it is set up well, leaving plenty of room for future additions...so when are you upgrading Kevin? pay no interest till you sell your soul.....

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Kevin regardless of what that sandbed looks like now.......that shrimp/gobie pair will have that re-distributed to their liking in no time at all......

I love it, looks great.......and your clowns are lovin it......

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Well some of us have been put on a strict no fish/fish equipment/coral anything fishy budget........grrrrrr saving my loose change now.....who knows, but there is a 120 in my mind that would look wonderful in my kitchen .........

Ahhh those shrimp/gobie pairs.....in a shell now that is funny. I put 3 lbs of rubble into my 20g and there isn't a pebble left above sand level....that little wee shrimp moved every stone I think he has a castle built under the rock and stone that would rival Ft. Knox.

Dec 21, 2005
st. louis area
Hey there's always ramen noodles and rice. I like to call it financial-aneorexia. save your $$ for the stuff that really matters.

that's funny. I still want a tiger/prawn pair but I think that my tank is at it's bioload limit.

During a hammerhead shark special on the discovery channel the other day they showed a shrimp/gobie pair being hunted by a shark but it was cool to watch the relationship in the wild. Think the shrimp made it. The shrimp kept going in/out of there burrow.

Sorry Ares- tank looks great I like how there's plent of space for fish and coral growth.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
anyone have any suggestions for a single fish, that stays small, does not look like a goby, and is interesting? I was thinking a wrasse, or maybe try to do another pair of anthias...any suggestions/comments?

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Fathead anthia, but I'm not sure it will appreciate the light. Flame hawk, small angel are always good bets for a fish that will be a good pet. Common clowns are not - you could always swap for tomatoes, clarkii's.
That looks like a great setup - sensible shaped tank, lots of light, good kit. I'll try to think of some more fish - I have a Canthigaster puffer in my reef, but I hesitate to recommend it.. But I would be thinking that would look great with some plating montis or similar, and give it time to develop.