New Tank pictures

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
hmmmm There are some very very nice wrasses, not the usual variety, something less common. A 40 gives you a bit of room to work with. I like Wayne's idea........then again what about a basslet ?

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
I like Wayne's Flame Angle suggestion, but if your looking for something truley out of the oridinary I dont know if that would exactly be it. I dont know if you ever had a six line.. but I guess then youd have to be carefull with inverts and everything.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
flame hawkfish are cool, they swim around and perch like my citron gobie does. I don't know how active they are swimming around though.......

They had one here at the lfs for a while and I just about bought him.

I have a 6 line who is a model citizen.....If I was doing a wrasse it would be a mystery wrasse or an unusual fairy or flasher group.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
never having kept a flame hawk in a reef system I would be a little worried about it picking at shrimp and my goby, although I think the goby could stand up for itself. What I have seen of them when I was working at the lfs was that they were very personable fish.

I really like the puffer, but again would be worried about inverts.
I am going to skip dwarf angels this time around, I am looking for something a little less common and not as messy.

I am leaning toward a wrasse, even though I would like a basslet, I would want to keep at least 2 anthias, and I really only want to add 1 fish. I want to keep this tank as low bio-load as possible, with more inverts and such, which makes me hesitant to add a wrasse. Even though they are rather common I was thinking 2 purple firefish simply because they stay small and would add a little color. THey aren't as active as I would like.

Wayne, I have atleast 2 years in my current location and the plan is to buy a bunch of small frags of sps and let them grow out over the next 2 years. I have a sizable credit at my old lfs, since I sold them most of my corals.
thanks for the input guys, and any new suggestions are definetly welcome.

Jan 16, 2004
Syracuse, NY
Lorna mentions a basslet... they are a very personable fish, I loved my tobacco basslet until he got slaughtered by my clarkii... lots of personality, not too commonly kept, theres a couple different species, if they are interesting to you.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
I am leaning towards either a flame hawk or a basslet...I am torn between the swiss gaurd basslet, the banded longfin basslet, or a chalk bass, anyone have any input or first hand experience with these guys?

Jul 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
The banded longfin is definitely something different. I've never seen any in person to judge its coloration fully, but I doubt it's plain. The chalk bass probably acts like Mushroomman's tobacco did, but the coloration looks more vivid like an anthias or something.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
The banded longfins are quite pretty , but have no personality, ditto firefish. I think problems with the hawk round shrimps are totally overrated, especially if you get one that's small. Ditto the longnose hawk. If you're looking lowbioload, character then the small hawks , super small angels would still be hihg on my shopping list, plectranthias (geometric pygmy hawk), not sure what else.
the problem with the flasher wrasses, fairy wrasss is that while they are nice fish, if you keep them singly the colours fade.
I tihnk you need to get a stock availability list, and a couple of good books on fish, and get looking. The Scott Michael book on dottybacks, hawks and basslets looks a good start. You know there is a lot of stuff available if you ask, look that will not normally appear in a shop as noone asks, buys them.