New tank questions!

llonka

Small Fish
Jul 7, 2011
Kansas
Haha thanks! I think this is by far the friendliest fish forum i've been on. *thumbsups

OOOH so you are a biker?? lol!! My favorite color is purple! :cool:

Nah it's ok. I have a testing kit, a cheap one. But I feel like it works the same as the high dollar ones. Besides i'd have to order it online if I wanted a snazzy one.

So here's another question. Would angelfish do well with my danios? Hubby thinks he wants to get some, after the tank is cycled.

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Angels may get stressed by the speedy danios, and danios can get nippy with their long fins. But there have been worse mixes, I suppose. Lots of tall plants will help the angels feel more secure.
Also angels will get too big for the tank in time. As long as you are prepared to rehome the angels at a later date, growing out smaller ones in a 29g isn't a problem, IMO. However, it gets harder to give up fish the longer you have them!

llonka

Small Fish
Jul 7, 2011
Kansas
Hmmm doesn't sound like such a good idea. We wouldn't have a bigger tank to move them to later on. whatever we put in the 29 is gonna have to stay in it. lol!

What about Harliquin Rasboras? or what would anyone suggest we put in with our seven danios? we have one glo fish, not sure how everyone feels about them, and plan on getting maybe three more. so we'd have 10 danios in the tank.

Purple

Superstar Fish
Oct 31, 2003
Hampshire UK
Visit site
Slow down - that tank is sounding full already - I'd stop at the ten fish mark.

Although the tank will seem to handle the load, what happens is the fish get stressd out because they're crowded, and start behaving aggressively and getting freaky on you.

10 happy fish is better than 15 who are having no fun at all.

llonka

Small Fish
Jul 7, 2011
Kansas
ok, its just hubby who wants to get more and more. I just figure I should know what will be ok with the danios first, but I won't let him anymore fishies then!

29 gallon tank parameters: nitrate-20 nitrite- 0 ammonia- .25

10 gallon tank parameters: nitrate- 20 nitrite- 0 ammonia- 3.0

looks i need to do a water change..

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; You may gain some useful information from a thread I started some months ago titled Stocking Density Opinion in the freshwater general discussion section of this forum. One consensus so far appears to be that it is best to start slow when new to the hobby. Folks with experience learn how to stock at higher densities, but at some increased risk of problems.

Denther

Large Fish
Feb 26, 2011
USA
Welcome to the forum and good luck on your tanks! You seem to be getting some good advice.

You don't have to answer this and I completely understand why you wouldn't want to but where are you in Kansas?

Wichita myself. :)

llonka

Small Fish
Jul 7, 2011
Kansas
Thanks Denther! I'm in Liberal. *thumbsups so we have a limited selection. Sure am glad I found this site, better than the others i've been on.

Everything is going swimmingly so far! The 10g is a lot calmer with the danios out, and I think guppies are glad. LOL!!