new tank..

Gunnie

Large Fish
Aug 29, 2003
Florida
www.egunsellers.com
When I was planning my first tank, before finding these forums, I looked at probably every freshwater fish they had on www.liveaquaria.com. It should tell you how big of a tank you need for each kind of fish. The basic rule is 1 inch of fish per gallon, but keep in mind that this rule is really only useful if your fish only grow long and not tall. If you choose a fish that is tall also, you have to take the tallness into consideration. Just check out the fish for now, and then when you think you know what you want, post it here, and the expeerts can tell you if it is doable for your tank.

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
i agree with s.reef--liveaquaria.com says nothing about certain fish and inverts needing special care (ex. intertidal snails and anthias)
for a 30, you could probably sit comfortably with 4 3-4" fish...just depends on what you want to keep

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
egunsellers: as far as live aquaria, my experience is that the FW is more accurate than the SW so yah

rainbowpride: you might want to go the LFS and see what they have that catches your eye, write down the name, then research it/ask about it here...there are hundreds of options ranging froma small school of something to one or two larger fish...and as S. Reef said, you need to decide what sort of system (REEF, FOWLR, FOWI, etc) you plan to keep

Jan 4, 2005
alabama
www.xanga.com
parental units want a REEF setup. JUST IDEAS of fish:Clown Goby,Damselfish(not my choice),Pseudochromis ,Sailfin/Algae Blenny,Firefish,Flame Hawkfish,Neon Blue Goby,Scissortail Dartfish,Ocellaris Clownfish,Tomato Clownfish,Pink Skunk Clownfish. Also where do yall get your live rock from?

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
any of those fish look fine, but personally i would skip the damsels unless you want a damsel only tank...obviously you can't keep them all, probably 3 or 4 at the most, and remember you do not want to mix clowns

i would go for a single larger clown (or a pair of ocellaris or perculas) and one of the blennys or gobys

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
im not sure you are a stupid kid, but if you are asking "whats the whole cycling thing?" it is time to buy some books, not time to buy some fish....otherwise you are going to be throwing lives and money down the toilet and you are going to find this to be a completely frustrating hobby...i guess, initially, i assumed this tank was kind of cycled with live rock and set up equipment wise and that does not seem to be the case.

well, i suppose if your dad wants damsels because he is a cheap *** and he is buying then so be it, but you might try to talk him out of it...variety will be much more interesting (at least in my opinion) and when it comes right down to it there is no way to do a SW reef cheaply...he is going to be spending $30+ on a coral somewhere down the line so investing the same amount on a fish that is more pleasing than a damsel makes sense to me...realistically, its going to cost $600 or more to get this tank all set up and ready to be a reef from an equipment standpoint anyway...could you describe your system for us and maybe we can let you know if you are headed in the right direction...

Last edited:

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
stolen from Lotus:

"The New Marine Aquarium" by Michael S. Paletta is a good starter guide, and has lots of good practical advice, as well as a checklist of what you need for a tank. It has lots of good tips.

"The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert M. Fenner is another basic handbook. It's a little more in depth.

You can usually get a package deal on Amazon for $40 for both of them.

might check this post out: http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19498