new tank

NPC

Small Fish
Mar 7, 2006
im thinkking of getting a new tank some time soon and i wanted your opinions on which fish to stock it with.

the tank is going to be a 125-150ish havent decided yet.
heres the fish im thinking of right now

flame angel
lawnmover blenny
percula clown pair
firefish
painted fairy wrasse
yellow tang

im looking for some suggestions on which other fish you guys would add to fill up the tank if you were me.
what im looking for are fish that are easy to take care of and add a lot of color to the tank.
thanks in advance.

Last edited:

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
I would add maybe a couple of tangs...2 yellows would be fine. Maybe some firefish? a small shoal...in a tank like that they could look nice...some fun inverts...a herd of cleaners. A mandarin would be fine in a tank that sized with lots of LR.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
What about a single royal gramma or pseudochromis? They are reef safe and reasonably peaceful, as long as you add them last. Some neon gobies would be cool too.

NPC

Small Fish
Mar 7, 2006
what about a fridmani dottyback, i was juat looking around some sites and saw a picture of one and i think they look amazing. anyone have any info on them.

also id like to get a fish that is like a neon red color, any ideas?

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod

NPC

Small Fish
Mar 7, 2006
wayne said:
Foxface would be nice, flame hawk? A bunch of fairy wrasse?

It's tough for us to decide these things for you.
im not looking for you to decide for me, a lot of you justy know a whole lot more then i do and i wanted your opinions.

NPC

Small Fish
Mar 7, 2006
heres what im thinking right now:

flame angel
lawnmover blenny
2 perc clown
2 firefish
painted fairy wrasse
yellow tang
hippo tang
fridmani dottyback
green mandarin
neon goby
royal gramma
flame hawk
and asorted cleaners and other inverts

the tank will probably be closer to 150 maybe a little larger.
do you think that the tank will be overstocked or am i ok?
any on that list that you would stay away from and if so why?
what order should i add these fish also?
also will this fish work well together or will any of them fight?

sorry for all the questions but thanks for your help.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
The only ones I might worry about fighting would be the dottyback and gramma, but in such a big tank I doubt it would be a problem. I'm not sure on the stocking, I'll let someone else help you with that.

You want to add the most peaceful fish first... the blenny, firefish, wrasse, and neon goby are all insanely peaceful, so they should probably be added first (not all at once). The mandarin is also peaceful, but you probably want to let the tank mature more before adding it. The angel is probably the most aggressive, so you'd want to add that last. The gramma is probably right before that. From what I've read, you'd want to add the tangs together, but then again they might be different enough from each other that they wouldn't fight anyways.

If it were me, I'd order it:
assorted cleaners and other inverts
neon goby (I'd also get 2 of these... I mean, they can't add much to the bioload)
2 firefish
lawnmower blenny
painted fairy wrasse
2 perc clown
flame hawk (not really sure how aggressive these are...)
yellow tang/hippo tang
fridmani dottyback/royal gramma
flame angel
green mandarin

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
It looks alright, kinda on the high fish load, but a 125 properly filtered should be fine. Umm...I will give you the benefit of the doubt that the gramma and psuedo will get along.

NPC

Small Fish
Mar 7, 2006
okay change of plans. i just got a tank from a friend of mine and it is way bigger then i was planning on. it's a 240 which is way bigger then i wanted but it was too good of a deal to pass up so i picked it up, nmow im just waiting to get some money to get the rest of the equip. to finish my system.

it'll probably be a year or so before i add any fish but here are the fish im wanting

flame angel
lawnmover blenny
2 perc clown
2 firefish
painted fairy wrasse
yellow tang
hippo tang
achilles tang
fridmani dottyback
green mandarin
2 neon goby
royal gramma
flame hawk
2 clown goby
sixline wrasse
lunare wrasse

what do you guys think?

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2005
Sunny Cali & Rainy England
NPC said:
ya, but it's so much bigger then what i wanted so i dont know if its a good thing or not.
You don't seem to be very excited about getting a 240 which gives me the impression that you really need to think seriously about it being too big. Once you've got through the cost of the initial set up and stocking etc, the cost of those water changes is gonna be massive. But on the other hand, a 240 display would be spectacular. How experienced are you at fish keeping.... or at snorkling for that matter?;)

NPC

Small Fish
Mar 7, 2006
im am excited about getting a tank that big it's just a little intimidating since the biggest tank ive had is a 75. the cost really isnt that big of a deal im more woried about the time investment.

Jul 29, 2005
Sunny Cali & Rainy England
Happy to hear that cost isn't much of an issue (lucky you). I shouldn't worry about the time investment too much (so long as you do have SOME time to devote). Please don't take this as fact, but it makes sense to me that the larger a system is, the more room it gives to you to manage your own time. Afterall, in a nano, if something isn't as it should be, you had better do something about it now. In a larger system you get a little more time.

Just a thought.

If you don't mind, can I ask what are the dimensions of the tank? ...and if it's not too rude, what was the unpassable deal that you got it for?