New tank

mrmoog

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2007
Glasgow/Scotland
Just got my first tank up and running at the start of the week......was going to put in some tetras/neon's how many should i put in for starters in a 27.5 uk gallon tank*SUPERSMIL

mrmoog

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2007
Glasgow/Scotland
Hey there i have got a test kit and i have been checking when it tells me 2, Ph nitrate and nitrite have been coming in at the right levels,When i got the tank i used some Nutrafin cycle after i had filled it, This was in accordince with the Fluval guidlines.

Oct 15, 2006
Don't trust entirely on those "cycle starter" or "cycle runner" things,...
Make sure that there is no ammonia in the tank, and be sure you have an ammonia source for the bacteria to feed on, such as a raw shrimp, fish food, a few cheap/hardy fish (cycling with a fish). I recommend a fish-less cycle. Many people use pure ammonia.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Uhhh, fish die when you don't cycle Jake. That is terrible advice. Please read up on cycling a tank before adding fish. A healthy fish tank doesn't happen if you just fill it up with water and plop the fish in...

mrmoog

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2007
Glasgow/Scotland
Guys thanks again for the advice.... i am going to take all my levels this morning and i will post them up and maybe you guys can give some more tips from there......i have been doing what you guys have recommended from this site and others but always like fresh advice keeps you on your toes ;)

lauraj

Large Fish
Jan 7, 2007
Unfortunately, it is doubtful that you have enough beneficial bacteria in your tank yet to deal with the bioload/ammonia that adding fish would produce. You'd have to have some nitrates in in there to show that there's bacteria breaking down the ammonia and nitrites.

I also love the Marileland all in ones, but the fishkeeping info that comes with the tanks falls way short. *IGNORE THIS...THINKING OF ANOTHER THREAD.....SORRY*

Usually those cycle products don't do much except cost you money. "bout the only baciteria for sale that usually works is Bio Spiro. It's put out by Marineland labs and some fish stores sell it. It must be kept refrigerated till used since it contains live bacteria. That is why I say it usually works. If the store doesn't keep it properly stored in a frig., it'll be useless when you buy it. It's something you add with fish so there's ammonia to feed the bacteria. Not everyone agrees with this method. Just one of many ideas.

Good luck!*thumbsups

Last edited:

Jake

Large Fish
Feb 15, 2007
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia , Canada
The lose of my Platy had nothing to do with Water Conditions. I have set up my 10g 3 times in the past 4 years without cycling no problems at ALL. Now my 30g is running perfect. My dad had a 25g with never cycling or testing anything but pH. He had it going for 9 years!.

lauraj

Large Fish
Jan 7, 2007
I would seriously love to know your secret then, 'cause I also hate the cycling process. How do you keep your ammonia levels in check, and what are they usually?

I'm sorry for being skepical

lauraj

Large Fish
Jan 7, 2007
MrMoog, ignore the Marineland reference I made. I was confusing that part with someone else's thread. Guess I need more coffee before I multi task.*SLEEPING*

mrmoog

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2007
Glasgow/Scotland
I have been given a tetra quick start kit from the guy in my local store....this guy is re nound for having the best fish in the area so i am going to try it its like nutrafin cycle but it is meant to have extra bacteria in it, Will wait and see what happens

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
Jake....Maybe you have "magic fish fingers" but telling someone to "Not bother cycling their tank" is just plain nonsense.

There are many different articles on many different forums, that explain exactly why you need to cycle your tank....believe me not everyone of those folks are wrong.

Maybe you and your dad have had great luck and never killed any fish (not likely) but most people don't have such luck. If you must post, at least offer good sound advice.

I should note: I ONCE cycled my tank using hardy fish....It worked sure, but I feel I was lucky, not good.......Food for thought.

lauraj

Large Fish
Jan 7, 2007
It is true, I've read, that if your tank pH is more neutral, your total ammonia levels can be higher without gill damage. ie. if your tank is at 77 degrees and pH is 7.0, apparently your total ammonia level can be 3.6 with little gill damage occurring. My tank pH seems to settle at 7.9, so my total ammonia must be kept .5 at most. Aquaria FAQ This site has a lot of good information IMO. Click on "your first aquarium" then scroll down to the cycling section in the table of contents.

So Jake, what pH do you shoot for and how often are you doing water changes? It could very well be that by watching your pH and doing partial water changes, you are controlling the ammonia level and don't realize it.

Does this make sense to everyone, or am I confused about the whole thing?