New tank

Jake

Large Fish
Feb 15, 2007
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia , Canada
I do a 25% WC every Sunday, if I have time. I check my pH once a month.
IDunnoWhy, everyone is titled to their opinion and posting what they want, it is the persons choice whether or not to follow the advice posted. As for the comment "Not Likely". My parents had the aquarium going for 9 years, and only lost one neon tetra to a decoration. So in my opinion there is no need too cycle, it is a waste of money, and time.
My opinion flame me if you want*thumbsups

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
Jake said:
My opinion flame me if you want*thumbsups
I'm way to old to spend time "flaming" you....

I just hope that if 'mrmoog' uses your "advice" he has the exact same luck as you, or he will have wasted HIS time and HIS money.

My advice for mrmoog? Do the research (on this forum & elsewhere), do a fishless cycle (instructions in the beginners section stickies), have patience (the hardest part) and enjoy the outcome.

Jake

Large Fish
Feb 15, 2007
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia , Canada
Lotus said:
Your tank will cycle, whether you do it intentionally or unintentionally. If you think you never cycled your tank, you're wrong.
I know my tank has cycled BUT I did not spend the money, on a bunch of test kits, or pure ammonia, and I didnt waste my time fishless cycling.

IDunnoWhy you are actually somewhat mature?

mrmoog

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2007
Glasgow/Scotland
What have i started .......a war on the forum (yes), I have done every thing that i have been told i have also sped up the bacteria growth with cycle and this new tetra stuff i have been told by many sources now that i can put fish in after about 4 days to a week dependent on all my levels and i have checked them and they seem to be ok in accordance to the guidlines on the tester kits,
So i thik that i will go get some tetras etc tomorrow

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
Cool, I have never tried the "Cycle" stuff, I have heard of it though. The last stuff I used was Bio-Spira, expensive, but considering it was almost an instant cycle, it was worth it.

Definitely monitor your levels, specifically Ammonia & nitrIte, both of those, even in small amounts are harmful, you'll want to watch your nitrAte as well, but it's not as important (In high levels it can be harmful though).

When you get it all set up, definitely get some pictures up. *thumbsups

Mar 17, 2007
Back to your question Mrmoog, the general rule of thumb with tetras is somewhere around 6 to be a good schooling size for most tanks 10 gal and over.

I have a 20 gal with 6 tetras in it, and they are schooling well and feeding like bears. So far all my fish are happy and friendly.

No nipped fins or chasing around the tank.

lauraj

Large Fish
Jan 7, 2007
I have 8 Neon tetras in quarantine now. Love the colors and can't wait to set them free in my tank. Think you'll like them as well.