new to saltwater HELP ME!!

drewby9

Small Fish
Jan 11, 2008
i got the salt water mix and everything ready to start mixing the water for my tank for when the salt water arrives....i got it off ebay and still have a few days before for i have to pay so i got a few days there

as for the Hydor Korallia's would 2 of the #3s be plently for my 55 gallon tank?

and i decided to go with the 55 gallon instead of the 75 so what would be a protein skimmer you would reccomend for it

and for lighting right now i just have the lights that came with the tank..but also for now im just planing on having FOWLR i may decide to get some corals a year or so down the line...if so i can upgrade the lighting then right?

as for the sump i havent done much reading about them....are they even necessary...if so could you give me some good info to put me in the right direction as like you said i would like to have this ready for my rock.

thanks again
drewby

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
second on the remora.....a regular hob remora with the maxijet 1200 goes for about $150 or so on ebay......I can't think of any other hang on that is as efficient. Don't be fooled into getting something that isn't as good and costs almost as much....stay away from seaclones and prisms....I would get your tank set up and filled with salt water with the heaters etc.....make sure everything is working fine that way you can siphon out some water when you add your rock......I would suggest that you add the rock to the bare tank with water....then add any sand substrate you want after as this will help stabilize the rock also you will no doubt want to change it around a bit until you get it aquascaped how you like it. The rock will need to cycle and you need to be prepared for water changes depending on the amount of die off you have on the rock. Was it fully cured? if so there will still be some die off but it won't be so bad. If it wasn't cured you will need to read up on curing it before adding anything to the tank......

drewby9

Small Fish
Jan 11, 2008
second on the remora.....a regular hob remora with the maxijet 1200 goes for about $150 or so on ebay......I can't think of any other hang on that is as efficient. Don't be fooled into getting something that isn't as good and costs almost as much....stay away from seaclones and prisms....I would get your tank set up and filled with salt water with the heaters etc.....make sure everything is working fine that way you can siphon out some water when you add your rock......I would suggest that you add the rock to the bare tank with water....then add any sand substrate you want after as this will help stabilize the rock also you will no doubt want to change it around a bit until you get it aquascaped how you like it. The rock will need to cycle and you need to be prepared for water changes depending on the amount of die off you have on the rock. Was it fully cured? if so there will still be some die off but it won't be so bad. If it wasn't cured you will need to read up on curing it before adding anything to the tank.....

ok so i just bought one of the remoras off ebay for 125 its the maxjet 1200 like you guys said....i do not need to drill my tank for this one right?...ok so far i have that...my tank...live rock on the way....and my tank heaters...and salt mix im gona start mixing up the salt water this weekend....any suggestions on other stuff?

drewby9

Small Fish
Jan 11, 2008
ok so i just bought one of the remoras off ebay for 125 its the maxjet 1200 like you guys said....i do not need to drill my tank for this one right?...ok so far i have that...my tank...live rock on the way....and my tank heaters...and salt mix im gona start mixing up the salt water this weekend....any suggestions on other stuff?

sorry about the double post.

drewby9

Small Fish
Jan 11, 2008
what about lighting will the stock lights that came with my tank be fine or do i need to upgrade bulbs or anything else?!?

also do i need a sump or can i get by without it...whats the pros and cons to both ways?