New to the board!

fishstik

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Hey everyone!
  Just wanted to say hello, as I am new to the board! As far as my fish, I have 2 lil' Oscars in a 30 gal, which I know will need to move to bigger quarters eventually!!!!!! Or one will need to leave... Any ideas as to how fast oscars grow? They are about 3-4" right now. Also- I understand that bigger is better for oscars, obviously, but would the 2 be okay in a 55 or 60 gal? I don't have a bigger tank yet, but will certainly do so as my resources allow! Thank you!

mcease

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Oscars grow about an inch a month.  The minimum tank that you should get is a 65g.  The width of the tank has to be at least 18" considering that oscars grow about 13".  I would not go with the 55g because it would only be 12" wide.  Bigger would be ideal for oscars because they like to have thier space.

Lynn

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
Welcome to the board! 8)

Oscars should reach their max of 15" within the first 2 years of their life. They will be 8" in the first 6-8months, at this size you need to move them. A 75G tank is the min for 2 oscars. It is 48"*18"*18" alows room to move around and have some space to themselves. Of course bigger is better.;D