Newbie needs advices

Jellybaby

Small Fish
Jun 16, 2005
Montreal
I am thinking about starting a saltwater aquarium. I already have a cute little betta in a freshwater aquarium so I have some "experience". My questions are:

- I've seen a 10 gallons who look like a nano cube. It was very cheap (200$ Can for everything including live rocks and 2 clowns). Is 10 gallons enough for 2 clowns and a cleaner shrimp? I know the clown will survive but will they be happy or is their just too little space to swim?

- Some guy at a store told me I'd have to clean the aquarium every 2 days if I go with the 10 gallon. Is this true? I'll be having a cleaner shrimp and some snails so I'm wondering if they can do the job themselves. :)

- For 200$ more I can get a 20 gallons. I don't really want any more fishes to start so I'm wondering if I'll be wasting my money (I'm on a budget) or if it will make a lot of differences in my little fishs' lives (ie: will they truly be happy or will they laugh at me for spending money :) - I could have put my betta in a betta bowl but I think it's ridiculous that's why I got him a 3 gallon Betta condo).

Thanks in advance. :)

Melany

Jellybaby

Small Fish
Jun 16, 2005
Montreal
Well I've done lots of price research and 400$ CAN for a 20 gallons with everything (I mean fish, 20lbs live rock, 2 x power head etc) is the best deal I could come up with in montreal. If you can get me a better deal I'm all for it but the thread is more about questions to know if my fishies will be happy in a 10 gallon...

brit_s86

Large Fish
Mar 28, 2005
I t doesnt really help with your question,but im from alberta,and for my 29 gallon fresh water w/everything I paid 99.99.I have a new 50 gallon,ill be setting it up tomorrow,and I only paid 115.00 custom built.but im not sure of the costs of having a salt water tank.but if rock is not to expensve or the pumps,maybe its worth it to buy the tank seperat...?also I found 10 gallon tanks for 12.99.(tank only)

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
I'm no expert but I would always say buy the biggest tank you can afford. I just started my first sw nano and I am already getting addicted and I bet you will too! The lr is so fascinating, in and of its self. However, I know Canada is very expensive so...I guess my final advice would be to go with what you can afford, but I don't know that I would take the live rock thats sitting in the display tanks at the local fish store. That just seems rather odd. It may have been exposed to something.

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
Oh btw - if you picked cured live rock from the fish store, ie not already in display tank, you will not be able to add anything to the tank until it cycles. So don't let them talk you into taking those clowns home right away and same goes for shrimp too. From the way I understand it you add you live rock, wait for the die off which will cause a ammonia, nitrite spike and when those levels die off to 0 you will want to get your nitrates real low like below 5ppm before you add anything. Then you can add some cleaning crew, but shrimp should wait until the water is absolutely stable. Then maybe about 4 inches of fish for a 10 gallon which is about 2 clowns. But that's about it. I am learning that the "rules" for a saltwater tank are more stringent than a freshwater as the water quality has to be prestine.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
I think 400$ canadian isnt that bad a deal for a 20 gallon, the LR alone should cost you 150-200$, plus lights a tank, and power heads, with fish, not a great deal but not terrible, the 10 gallon would be ok for 2 clowns and a cleaner, but you would have to do water changes every week atleast and top off every day or 2. do these deals include protien skimmers? cause then that would be a great deal, however before you make the purchase I would def. go buy some books, the new marine aquarium by mike paletta is a good place to start. No offense but a betta doesnt really count for much experience. they dont need good water quality, are quite hardy, and all in all are pretty easy fish.
good luck and welcome to the tank
Brahm

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Hey Jellybaby..i'm in montreal too.
Your deal for the 20g...where is it ? If it's aqua-tropicale, better watch out.
This is not live rock they sell. Basically base rock being seeded. They say it's cured...wrong...it stinks and your lucky if you have any cool lifeform in/on it.
I've been on the 2 stores in mtl..same stuff. The only good they have is hardware. 55 gallon perfecto = 99 $ . 20 gallon = 30 $ . 10 gallons = 9.99 $
Jager heater are 40 % off, food is cheap too.
This is the place where the salt is cheaper too. 20 $ for an instant ocean 55 g mix versus 30 $ + elsewhere. I bought a 160g mix for 49 $ there.

Ok now the BEST place to buy live rock is in Laval : www.aquapassion.com
Check the prices..awesome live rock/fishies. Everything is healthy.
There is another place for good looking fishies, beautiful corals, and incredible live rock, but very pricy : octopus . Papineau street. Better tell ya the owner isn't very friendly at first.
Another good store based in laval is : www.reefsolution.com . Great place to buy additives, bulbs etc.
I don't have a car and live in montreal so it sucks going to laval, but if you have a little $ better spend it in those stores.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
My advice would be get the Mike Paletta book listed above and try to price up the basic shopping list in that.
Mine would be
tank
lights/hood
powerheads
heater
salt mix
hydrometer
test kits
sand
live rock

Bearing in mind how cheap the actual tank is , it is i.m.o. a good idea to get a 20 gallon rather than a 10, especially as the cost increase for a heater and powerheads is pretty trivial as well BUT only get the live rock and livestock and for a ten.
At least that way when your wallet has recovered you will have space to grow.

Jellybaby

Small Fish
Jun 16, 2005
Montreal
I finally decided to go with a 75 gallon. Big difference to what I wanted first lol.
I read alot and I got alot of advice so I decided to go bigger. That way my fish that I want would be happier in a bigger tank than in a smaller one.

I decide to buy piece by piece. So even if It takes me 6 months to build my aquarium alteast i'm not putting a hole in my budget. I'll shop and learn what's the best buy for the equipement during that time.

I got my 75 gallon for 119$Can at big al's. :) I shop like at 5 stores and it was the best price.

Expresso

Small Fish
Mar 14, 2005
Chateauguay, qc
good deal. I will have to check out big al's tank prices when I decide to venture into saltwater. I usually buy my tanks at aqua tropical they have amazing prices for equipment. Nice to see someone else from Montreal.

No offense but a betta doesnt really count for much experience. they dont need good water quality, are quite hardy, and all in all are pretty easy fish
And I had to add that despite what most people think betta's DO need good water quality just like any other fish, their tails and fins are very sensitive to ammonia

Jellybaby

Small Fish
Jun 16, 2005
Montreal
Expresso 75 gallon tanks at aqua tropicale where around 139$ I guess if you wait for specials it could go down.
At aquapassion the 55 gallon tank was 150$ same for reefsolution I didn't ask the price for the 75 gallon. I guess it could be around 200$

So I went to big al's and that was the best price for the 75 gallon.

Now to choose which skimmer is the best for my tank, I got some recommandation on :
Remora skimmer
Reef-626H or Reef-521H
75 Won or 125 Won

Which one do you guys think is best for my 75 gallon?

Jellybaby

Small Fish
Jun 16, 2005
Montreal
this is gonna sound pretty newbiess but what is a sump?

If you mean drilling a hole in my tank, than no I won't be having one. I'm not going to put a hole in my tank because my aquarium is made of glass and it says on the tank not to drill. So i'm not taking any chances.

Last edited:

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
a sump is basically a tank below your tank through which you cycle the water; you can keep equipment in there (good) and it increases overall water volume (good) and it is also possible to set it up to act as a refiugium (good). you can have a sump without drilling...they make HOB overflows to allow you to do that. if you don't want to go down that road i would recommend the Remora

Jellybaby

Small Fish
Jun 16, 2005
Montreal
I won't be going that road with a sump then. Is the Remora big in the tank?
Is it possible to have a skimmer that is not in the tank or that is small so it doesn't take alot of room in the tank?