Newbie Question about start up saltwater tank

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
All live rock does the same thing, it's just named by where it comes from and sometimes the shape of it too. It's up to what you think looks the best. Keep in mind that if you get live rock shipped (which is much cheaper, seeing as you'll need 45-60lbs for the tank), it'll have some die off during shipping and you'll have to cure it again a little when you get it home. This isn't too much of a problem though, since you aren't going to add it to an established tank so it can just finish curing right in the 55g.

Damsels are very, very territorial (and I think that dominos change colors when they mature and become dull solid brown). The blue tang gets too big for a 55g, but a yellow is fine. You will want to wait until the tank is completely cycled and the clean-up crew has been established for a while before adding fish, so you've got plenty of time to decide on final stocking.

joeyjoeq

Large Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Chicago
Tell me if this was a good deal. To me it was good but I have not checked for light prices, snails, crabs, and live rock prices, etc. I was out the other day and heard this guy talking about getting rid of his tank. It caught my attention and decided to be nosy.:p He had a 65 gallon tank. He sold me the 35 gallon sump(with all the tubes and pumps), live sand(dont know how much but looks like enough) two visi-therm 150w heaters, a T5 lighting set up( its 200 watts 50x4), he said it was 65 pounds of fiji rock(looks purple some green and red spots), 5 snails, 3 hermit crabs, a cleaner shrimp, a bunch of shells, and 2 green mandarians. He gave me almost all the water from his tank. He helped me transport everything and he basically set-up the tank. O yeah and I purchased all of this for $550. Is this good or did he make a fool out of me? I am using the remora pro as the skimmer. It works but no nasty stuff has been caught. Will it come with time? Do I need a powerhead? I can notice water movement since water travels from one side to the other. I also wanted to ask if I have to be feeding anything? The mandarians eat my brine shrimp so I'm fine. What about the rock? Do they need anything?

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
Brine shrimp isn't what you want to feed them, it has the nutritional value of water. Try weaning them onto mysis by feeding both at the same time. If you can get them onto mysis shrimp, then there will be no problem keeping both. Mandarins are not beginner fish, by any means.

That's pretty cool that you got everything set up for you. Since he gave you half of his old water, you have a somewhat pre-established tank. I would wait awhile and let everything settle down before you add anymore fish.