Nitrates--ARG!

Jun 24, 2005
Alexandria, Virginia
Okay, so for the past couple of months I've had really high nitrates (30-40ppm) each readout, no matter how many times I've taken the water out and no matter how much I've taken out, and I've been scrubbing off their plants and decor and vaccuuming out their gravel at least once a week. I think all the nitrates is part of the reason why I've been having such a huge brown algae problem, and I tried getting rid of as much of the algae as possible, but at this point I think I might have to basicly put my clowns into my travel tank and blitz the whole thing--scrub out the sides of the glass (with the appropriate aquarium cleaner, of course) get new gravel, get new plants, everything.
Now of course I don't wanna have to do that since its a heck of a lot of work (and a bit of money since I prefer the crushed coral and shell substrate) but at the same time I'm still willing to do it because I love my clowns. (I've had them for 10 months now)
So basicly, I'm wondering if anybody has any recommendations of things to do that aren't quite so um, extreme. Would it work if I just tossed out the plants, all the little decorative things, and rinse out the gravel real well under running water?

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
your undergravel filter is your problem...get rid of it...switch to sand, not crushed coral, and use Live rock and not fake plants and rocks and you will have no problems. and add a power head for water movement. You have a very old set up in a small tank which will cause many headaches. The undergravel filter and crushed coral are the reason for your nitrates and your algae. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but good luck and stick with it.

Jun 24, 2005
Alexandria, Virginia
My one concern about aquarium sand is, how do i clean it? (I've never had to deal with sand before, so I don't know these things.) Am I still able to vaccuum it, or is it even necessary?
And all the books I've read make even cured live rock seem like a hassle.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Get a better book. The New Marine Aquarium by Mike Paletta will be very good for you. This sort of problem is absolutely typical of UGF filtered systems, and can only be fixed by breaking the system down and cleaning everything. The basic problem is that it doesn't matter how often you change the water, your substrate is a massive resevoir of nitrates.

I don't see how live rock can be considered difficult. You put it in the tank, and move the water around. Thats it. You need no new fancy lighting or other equipment, and for your tank you likely only need 5 or 8 pounds ofdecent quality, porous rock

Jun 24, 2005
Alexandria, Virginia
All the books i've got basicly say even if its cured, you have to cure it again "just to be sure" there aren't any bad things on it.
I'm planning on getting the powerhead--will I still need the power filter or will that be in replacement of, or an addition to it?

Jan 13, 2006
Colorado
you still keep the power filter it holds all the good bacteria and is a must in any tank, i agree with the under gravel filter,they are a horrible invention. i had one in my 55 gallon freshwater and it was so bad that when i did remove it it clouded my tank up for 2 weeks even with daily water changes. you might also want to invest in a better filter if you ave the money to do so, tetra filters are not the best i would go with an aqua clear and they do wonders on keeping the water super clear.

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
I disagree with fishkabibble, you could still keep the power filter, but take all the media out(another source of nitrates) and just use it for water movement, in addition to the powerhead. No need to buy a new one.

Jun 24, 2005
Alexandria, Virginia
Ok so I 86'd the old gravel, undergravel filter, etc. And went out and got sand, the powerhead and 4.5 pounds of live rock. I let the fish explore their new home a little while ago, and they seem pretty happy thus far. I'll let you all know how it turns out :)

Jun 24, 2005
Alexandria, Virginia
I did EVERYTHING you guys have said and my fish are now DEAD!
All of the levels are PERFECT! I have no idea what went wrong. I did all the tests and they were in PERFECT shape! In fact, I've never seen the water as perfect as it is right now!
They're just in the bottom of the tank, basicly petrified, no bite marks, nothing. They're just basicly frozen.
They were fine when I left for work this morning at 7am, and I came back to find them dead. The heater's perfect, filter's working, powerhead's going fine.
Anybody have any ideas?

Last edited: