Nitrates--ARG!

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
I wouldn't think so (emptying the tank); I would just leave your tank settle for a week or so and keep an eye on the water perams and then when you are sure all is fine add in your new tank mates.

Question; I see you said you FLOATED the bag for some time...did you drip acclimate them to the new water conditions? Temp is only one part of the aclimatization process!

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
WhaleGeekLWU said:
So basicly my mom's idea that they died because I took away their flowerpot is impossible?
(I had a little flower pot in there that one slept in at night, and the other kind of slept behind and underneath it.)
That is possibly another factor...when you change there surroundings like that it can add great stress to the fish and if that was were they used as there "SAFE" spot then that would make a lot of sense that it would add a great stress.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
floating them for 6 hours may have killed them....floating the bags is really actually quite bad for fish as it does not allow for gas exchange between the bag and the outside air....not good at all

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
1979camaro said:
floating them for 6 hours may have killed them....floating the bags is really actually quite bad for fish as it does not allow for gas exchange between the bag and the outside air....not good at all
Good point about the 6 hrs camaro, but I don't think floating the fish for 15-20 minutes will cause any harm... I usually purchase my fish and have them at my house in a matter of 15-20 minutes and then float them while I get my bucket and airline hose ready to do the drip, and I also mix-up a small amount of water to replace what will be taken out of the tank. This usually takes me only 15 minutes or so and allows the bag temp to acclimate to that of the tank a little more.