nitrite issues

vanuck

Small Fish
Sep 4, 2008
vancouver canada
i bought the best german reflectors i could because my tank is 24 inches high. it had to penatrate. mh will be on my next tank. 180 gal in the works.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I have a bta that has grown to be a monster along with 2 monster lta's both were severely bleached when I got them) in two separate tanks.....I feed them a squirt of pe mysis once every other week and if they are lucky they get a silverside every other month. These nems have grown over the past 2 years to be over 12" in diameter, they are huge and I have read that the biggest reason most anemones don't make it is due to over feeding. I would severely cut back on the amount you are feeding them, if they need more light they will move up in the tank. Make sure your returns and powerheads are covered or protected.

good luck and I think with the slowed feeding schedule and frequent water changes (suck out as much cyano as you can each change) you will fight off the cyano. It seems that some new tanks will go through cycles and finding the cause usually cures the problem. If you didn't suck out the dead cyano which btw is bacteria not really algae the dead bacteria could also be causing the spike. I am suprised your nem hasn't had any adverse reaction to the water quality issues. Raise your sg a bit to 1.025 you don't say what you ph and ca are at? what size tank is this? you may need to reposition your flow if your rock work is creating any dead spots.....

vanuck

Small Fish
Sep 4, 2008
vancouver canada
nevermind. water is good. just purchased a new nitrite test kit. 0 is the new reading. old kit still had 3 months til exp. happened with my ph before. old kits were red sea liquid tests. new ones are salifert dry chem. that would explain why i had not seen any adverse effects on my inverts.