no luck w/ ammonia

Jan 13, 2006
Colorado
when i just did my change from gravel to sand i removed the ugf that i had stopped using months ago and my tank got so nasty and cloudy because of all the "stuff" underneath it im amazed that i didnt have huge spikes in my water params, but i did 2 80 percent water changes in 2 days and it is almost back to norm, it is only a little cloudy but im guessing that it is also from the sand i put in as well. so i dont highly recomend ugf's. it never did anything for my tank anyways, thats why i stopped using it.

(BTW none of the posts i read warned me to wear gloves when rinsing the sand and my hands got dyed black and my knuckes got so torn up that it looked like i had beaten someone up lol)

Jan 29, 2006
bradford,NH
well, here is where im ending up. my columbian died yesterday and i ended up wanting nothing to do with the tank from frustration. so i am taking your advice. i just got done removing my 4 last fish into my 5 gal for a few days until i get the 20 gal straitened out. tonight i removed the ugf and did bout an 80% water change. i am also admitting that i wasnt properly maintaining my tank. i thought i was but after i have seen the amout of junk under the ugf apparently i was mistakened. i vacuumed the gravel good and right now i am just waiting for the crud to settle before i can do another vacuum. tomorrow i will do a third vacuum and replace the decorations into the tank in the morning along with a hard water [pillow and cycle. hopefully this fairs better than my other attempts.....wish me luck!!!