Ocellaris Clownfish picky eater..

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
just got a pair of clowns yesterday...the smaller one is not eating very much or maybe nothing...he looks very skinny.

i tried 3 different foods.
pellets (only the hermits and snails ate thos...)
reef flakes (i had to smash them into fine bite size pieces...only the big guy ate thos...)
spiralina (same result as the reef flakes...)

im building a brine hatchery...and i'll see if he eats thos little guys...

going to get some frozen food and see if he takes any of thos.

any help or suggestions?

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
One day !
Can take days even weeks for some new dudes to eat.
If he can swallow just a little bit, you could add some Selcon to boost his immune system...juiced in a high protein food.
The 3 different food you mentionned are dry, why don't you try mysid shrimps ?

Sep 12, 2006
Algonquin, IL
yea, try some frozen food. prime reef and formula one are both good, and like $5 for a tray that lasts for about a month. both of my ocellaris love that stuff. frozen food is the way to go, i never use dry, only for my freshwater planted tank.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I had trouble with my occellaris at first and they now gobble anything directly from the baster. Cyclopeeze will induce a feeding frenzy but get the frozen stuff. Also try piscine energetics mysis,it has the highest protein and fat content and I have yet to see even the pickieset eater turn them down. Also try arctic pods in the bottle......mine can't get enough of that....fish crack

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Oh and don't waste your time with the brine shrimp, unless you are loading them with spirulina and selcon they are virtually not nutritional at all.....

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
iplaydafoozball said:
yea, try some frozen food. prime reef and formula one are both good, and like $5 for a tray that lasts for about a month. both of my ocellaris love that stuff. frozen food is the way to go, i never use dry, only for my freshwater planted tank.

lol u make is sound like you hate your freshwater tank :rolleyes:

hope my parents dont mind me stuffing the freezer with fish food *twirlysmi

come to think of it my LFS feeds the livestock nothing but frozen food sometimes even fresh.

u cant buy mysis shrimp eggs? iv only seen brine eggs

Last edited:

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
I had the same problem. I tried feeding them flake foods (bought 3 different types )but they never liked it. Now they only eat mysis and they scavenge on pods, once I move the sand a little bit. I don't know if mysis is enough for them or not but thats what they eat. So basically I feed them once a day with mysis only. They seem to be doing fine.

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
Last edited:

joeyjoeq

Large Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Chicago
How old are they? Young ones in general will not eat everything. I have a combination of food that contains ... shrimp, scallop, oyster, clam, squid, brine, krill, mysis, grouper, red nori, broccoli carrot, red plankton, golden pearl, oyster eggs, selco, brine shrimp, and rotifers. Everyone in my tank goes crazy for it even the corals.*BOUNCINGS

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
its taking the mysis very well. but only eats like 2 or 3 of them...i guess the LFS havent been feeding them much so their not used to such large amounts of food yet...

im going to start feeding them one shimp at a time to see what there limit is every day. i want them fat XD