Ocellaris Clownfish picky eater..

eva

Large Fish
Oct 18, 2006
burnaby, bc
Okay I have a question/clarification here. When you say one mysis shrimp, are you refering to the cubed kind, as in one whole mysis cube? Or are you refering to actual individual mysis shrimp? I haven't seen any individual ones for sale before so that would be some news! I have a tendency to overfeed which i'm trying to stop and for my 48g i will usually feed half a mysis cube and some cyclopeeze and they don't eat all of it.

JeLeAk

Large Fish
Jan 4, 2005
Alaska
i think they mean 1 individual shrimp... because my clown will eat maybe single mysis shrimp i have had it for 4-5 months now and it hasnt died, so it must be eating enough

i have cubed mysis, what i will do is thaw the cube, water it down a bit and add 1/3 of it to my 20 gallon saltwater and the rest into my community tank

eva

Large Fish
Oct 18, 2006
burnaby, bc
Ok well since I've never seen indivdual mysis shrimp, or actually just never bothered looking, I guess for my 5 fish in the 48g I will keep feeding from between 1/3 to 1/2 of a cube during each feeding...thanks guys.

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
im trying to throw in about 1/8 of the cube. this will save me a lot of money XD
anyways i mean one whole mysis not a whole cube. it doesnt matter how big it is a clownfish will never finish a cube of mysis...:eek:

found some bristle worms...hope these kinds are safe.

i throw some brine shrimps in there too.
u cant overfeed brine shrimps right? they'll all get eaten sooner or later right?

eva

Large Fish
Oct 18, 2006
burnaby, bc
lol yeah no leftovers needed...so there really is single individual mysis shrimps? this is really new to me, I have never heard about it them before...is it for real? lol or is the single mysis like individual pieces that have been thawed from the cube? no one is really clearing things up for me here! lol

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
eva said:
lol yeah no leftovers needed...so there really is single individual mysis shrimps? this is really new to me, I have never heard about it them before...is it for real? lol or is the single mysis like individual pieces that have been thawed from the cube? no one is really clearing things up for me here! lol
yeah ive been wondering about this too *twirlysmi .... i mean individual mysis would be tiny wouldnt they?? :eek:

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Thaw them out and look at them...they are small individuals with about a dozens making up one cube. The Piscine Energetics that you buy is in a block and you can break off a piece and they are much larger than the ones in the cube.....and fattier too. The fish go crazy for those ones.....

If your clown is still not eating you could add some garlic to the food....that usually entices even the picky fish to eat

eva

Large Fish
Oct 18, 2006
burnaby, bc
lol thanks lorna, that's what i thought. just fed the 48g and just put in 1/4 of a cube and some cyclopeeze with some phytoplankton for the corals. i never looked at cyclopeeze upclose until today and it was interesting...little critters with antenae and all!

for the 33g, i bought the big PE block of mysis as I think that is more convenient to use than the cubed kind i currently have for the 48..just haven't had to feed anything in that tank yet!

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
iv been grinding up big pieces of reef flakes (too lazy to cut the cubes of mysis sometimes....) they love the flakes tho.

im going to stop feeding then brine since i read something about them thats very disturbing...

everything is just great now...just need to get rid of my maroon....