Okay...I need some help here guys and gals

Tomas

Medium Fish
Jan 1, 2006
I gotten a 15 gallon fish tank. I read several topics and faqs/guides about cycling fish, and yet, I am still confused. Then I found out that you can use a fish to cycle your tank for you. That sounds like a good idea to me, but I am afraid of the fish dying on me( I cant take that :() What would be a good fish to survive the process. Also, I can get some gravel from my friends tank, would that help it?( its pretty succsesfull, got a catfish, and some other flat ones, really fast.)

~Tom

Shaunna

Large Fish
Oct 6, 2005
Ohio
The fishless cycle would be better if you don't want to take the chance of your fish dying. That being said, it depends on if you are an impatient person or not. If you can wait a few weeks and do fishless that is great and the best thing for your fish. If you are impatient you can do a fish in cycle. Most people use zebra danios since they are very hardy little things. All in all it comes down to if you can wait it out or not. Good luck.

Jayrod7

Large Fish
Dec 1, 2005
Omaha, Nebraska
danios are a good hardy fish. i would recomend doing the fishless cycle for atleast a week or 2 and then adding a couple zebra or stripped danios. and then go from there (that is what i did in my 29 gallong-my first).

Tomas

Medium Fish
Jan 1, 2006
Sadly, I am vert inpatient. I might also be able to get a plant or two from my friends established tank. Any pointers when I buy the fish, like what I should watch out for/have.

Also, ill take any tips you can offer.

Jayrod7

Large Fish
Dec 1, 2005
Omaha, Nebraska
1)Test your water regularly (im bad at this-im still a noob at water chemistry)
2) get the most active, brightly colored fish (not dyed, fish that swim odly, basic health (missing eyes, fins ect)
3) DONT OVER FEED (this is my main probelem)
4) dont over stock
5) only add 1-2 fish every 2 weeks
6) have fun

Tomas

Medium Fish
Jan 1, 2006
Do you think with the soil and the plants from another tank my chances will increase, and when will I know that the cycle is over?

Jayrod7

Large Fish
Dec 1, 2005
Omaha, Nebraska
like i said you should fishless cycle for a couple weeks, get it tested (if you have a petland in your area they do a true test- dont go to petsmart or petco.)

If they say it is ok to get fish i would then go with a couple of danios, platys,swords, molly, or a guppy

Shaunna

Large Fish
Oct 6, 2005
Ohio
Yes, having some gravel and plants from your friends tank will help yours out. This is called "seeding". Also, are they live plants or fakes? If they are live then they will really help out with ammonia and wastes from the fish. If they are fake then they will help out some by adding more beneficial bacteria to your tank. Just make sure that you don't let the gravel or the plants come into contact with chlorinated water or this will kiill the bacteria. If you can wait a week or so then it would really help out if your friend would let you put your filter cartridge in his tank for a few days or longer. This will help to establish some bacteria for your tank as well. Again, don't let it come into contact with chlorinated water or dry out.

edit: also if you do a fish in cycle make sure that you do frequent water changes. Also, guppys aren't very hardy they will probably die.

Tomas

Medium Fish
Jan 1, 2006
When people say partial water change, do I just take a bucket, dump it in the water, seap half of it out, and add more?

And before I add the water to the tank, should I boil it first. And last question.

For the fishless cycle, did I understand right.

1- get tank, fill with water
2- put drops of ammonia daily till its lvl 5 ph
3- test for nitris to spike then drop to 0
4- put plants,gravel from existing tank
5- buy teh fishes?

Shaunna

Large Fish
Oct 6, 2005
Ohio
Well for the fishless cycle Ic an't say, never done one. As far as water changes it is a good idea to do about 25- 30% w/c once a week. Since you are cycling Iw ould say every other day to every 2 days. Go to walmart in the pet section and buy a cheap gravel vac for about 4.00. It has a syphon. You will vac the gravel while syphoning out water. However much you took out you then must replace. Make sure it is same temp as tank water and that you foolowed instructions for your dechlor. DO NOT REPLACE WATER WITHOUT DECHLORINATING IT FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!! No, don't boil it. Just get from your tap make sure it is tank temp dechlor and then pour it in. All this water change stuff is for a fish in cycle. Apparently you aren't supposed to change water for 30 days during a fishless.

Shaunna

Large Fish
Oct 6, 2005
Ohio
No such thing as a dumb question. That is why we are here. Better to research before you go killing stuff. Btw, if you do a fish in cycle, feed very sparingly. Your fish will do fine with a few flakes every other day or so. Overfeeding is very bad to a new tank!! Trust me, I know from a very bad experience!

Tomas

Medium Fish
Jan 1, 2006
Yes, my friend dumped the whole bottled of food when he had his fish... Do fish eat live things such as worms?

Also, what about chinese fighting fish, do they get along with other fish?