Okay...I need some help here guys and gals

Shaunna

Large Fish
Oct 6, 2005
Ohio
Siamese fighting fish... depends. No more than one male unless you have a huge tank. Check out the profiles on different types of fish at the top of this page. Very informative.

Yes, fish eat live things. It is better even to give them live things every now and again and a varied diet. That can be a later discussion though after your cycle. Not too much at once. :) you have the eagerness though which is good. Just don't rush it. RESEARCH!!!!!!!!!!!!

seastaar88

Superstar Fish
Feb 1, 2004
middletown, CT
did yall already check out the stickies in the beginners FW forum? i prefer a fishless cycle, following iggy's recipe (found within that very sticky...) becasue why bother buying hardy fish if that's not what you'll want in the long run? patience does pay off. it will take between 3-6 weeks for your tank to cycle. yes, seeding yor tank with gravel from an established tank helps speed things up, but your tank will still need to experience its cycle. (i recommend putting some gravel in the leg of pantyhose to keep it separate if it's different color gravel you want).

my fish only get fed 2-3 times per week. most people tend to way overfeed their fish. you want to find a feeding schedule that works for you and your fish. you don't want bloated fish, and you don't want your fish to have concave bellies.

cybersymes

Large Fish
Nov 3, 2005
'serendipity' tank
get tank...
fill with de-chlorinated water...
place rocks/plants/substrate...
squeese some of your friends filter water over your filters...
run for a week without fish...
get water tested at fish shop [free]...and if it's ok...
add 2 platties...
in a weeks time...free water test...and if it's ok...
get 2 more fish...
in a weeks time...free water test...and if it's ok...
get 2 more fish...

and so on and so on...
that's how i did it...no dead fish...

no need to boil your water...
but it must be de-chlorinated...
with a product like 'tapsafe'...

partial water change...
in my case i do 10% every other day...
i syphon out 4 galls...[10%]...
and then add 4 galls of de-chlorinated water...
temp. of water going in must be same as temp of water coming out...

there you go...idiots guide...
'cos i am some idiot...