oscar age

fishboy

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Cincinnati, Ohio
It depends on what the conditions were when they were kept at the LFS. 8) but, i would say if the fish were ket in good water conditions.........7-9 months old. A guess ;) But, if you really want to find out you could ask The LFS how old they thought they were  ;) Just a thought :)

kitten

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
the shop people usually don't know, even the wholesalers don't know. Unless they bought them locally, how old they tell you your oscars are could just be bullsh!t. Thats just been my experience anyway...

Ovrclckd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Nobody honestly will know for sure. It does vary a lot. If the oscars are not locally bred (which I don't see too often), then they are bred free reign in giant irrigated ponds in south america. The drag a giant net across the pond, collect a bunch of fish. The sort them and throw the smallest ones back. Oscar fry hatch in a day and a half, and they grow quick. Considering they had access to plenty of natural fry sized food in the wild, they probably aren't more than a couple months old.

7 to 9 months is way off tho. From birth it takes about a year and a half to reach 10-12" if they are fed well. A 9 month old should be about 6" or so.

fishboy

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Cincinnati, Ohio
[quote author=ownedbykitten link=board=cichlid&num=998944390&start=0#3 date=08/28/01 at 08:13:00]
Nobody honestly will know for sure. It does vary a lot. If the oscars are not locally bred (which I don't see too often), then they are bred free reign in giant irrigated ponds in south america. The drag a giant net across the pond, collect a bunch of fish. The sort them and throw the smallest ones back. Oscar fry hatch in a day and a half, and they grow quick. Considering they had access to plenty of natural fry sized food in the wild, they probably aren't more than a couple months old.

7 to 9 months is way off tho. From birth it takes about a year and a half to reach 10-12" if they are fed well. A 9 month old should be about 6" or so.
[/quote]

My bad OBK ;D