overflow

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
I had problem with this ebay seller. Also, the bad reviews are about this overflow..some got their already broken. Still this overflow is very cheap and looks ok.
600 gph is like 2 aquaclear 402 powerhead full blast i u know what i mean .

Dec 29, 2005
i ran into the same problem with my 60G. same type of skinny space. i decided to take the ultimate step and drill drains in the back of the tank i got a 2 in diamond hole saw and drilled the holes with no suprise. that is what i did. i did some recearch on the flow and i found for my tank is as much as you can do but for me i used a quiet one 4400 which is approx 1000 gph. that is what i felt ok with i could of gone with more but i decided for me it was a little much for more flow. that is what i did. good luck.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
You might be pretty smart, but if you haven't set it up yet (ergo empty) and you still think an overflow box is a better bet than drilling .......

You can have an easy life of success, or a difficult life of high maintenance and floods. Guess which you've chosen.

Tip - get someone to drill it for you iff you're nervous

Aug 23, 2005
Cocoa Beach
www.tiecc.net
well i know the bottom is temp... not sure about the sides... not sure how to check. where should i drill if that is what i end up doing? what is going to overflow with the box? also i would like to keep my water level near the black line on the top of the tank... anyone in the central fla area want to drill my tank?

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ask a GOOD lfs if they drill, or if they know who does?

What will overflow is the main tank WHEN the overflow loses syphon and your sump pump empties the sump as no more water flows into it, the main tank will overflow and if you're really unlucky the dry pump will catch fire

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Well drilling the bottom and putting in a stand pipe is very good, but I thought you had a tempered glass base, so it's likley easier to drill the back as nearthe top as is possible, and put an acrylic box around. AquaMedic make one, I guess there are US made equivalents as well. The water will overflow from the level of the hole OR the overflow, but in that case the overflow box needs to be somewhat load bearing.

Pump in, pump out is impossible to get in balance, and will constant fiddling as one will wear faster than the other. Take it from me, that is a sure fire disaster.

You're already doing the smart thing - look in your lfs tanks, other peoples tanks, see how they do it

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
You can drill the back panel or the sides. On my new tank, i go with the left side. Here it's 35 $ (CDN) to get it done by a pro. To buy a drill head it's like 200 $ because it's diamond and i don't feel like killing my new tank. Always better to get it done by someone who know how to do it. I drilled a 10 gallon with a dremmel but it's only 9 $ for the aquarium ...less risky.

Aug 23, 2005
Cocoa Beach
www.tiecc.net
ok guys, thanks for all the help... both of the LFS stores say to use the over flow... i would rather drill the bottom and put in a pipe... with the back drilled, how would i get the water level to be about where the black line is on the front of the tank, or would i just have to get use to the water being down a bit? how big of a hole on an 80 gal?

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Drilling the bottom yourself ? there are some twinflo from aga i think they are already drilled at the bottom..but doing it yourself where the glass is assurely tempered and where the pressure is incredibly high, i don't think it' such a good idea. 'Better drill where there's not much pressure. If you drill the bottom you'll still have a pipe going up to the top of the tank. If it's drilled in the back panel, there will be an external one. Maybe less aesthetic if you plan to have a room divider, but if the back of your tank is hidden, why risk to crack your tank ? I called someone to get my tank pierced and said it's impossible for him to work on tempered glass. He warned me before i even asked, and anyways i wouldn't pierce the bottom. Please reconsider this

Aug 23, 2005
Cocoa Beach
www.tiecc.net
might just go and build a good stand for my stuff to sit on and put it above the tank and let it flow back into the tank as opposed to free down, then back up.. ill just have a smaller sump this way i guess... or mabey ill just have to have a long, shallow sump... i have it inclosed in a closet like opeaning in the living room.