Overloaded my tank... getting cloudy... what do I do? Help ASAP :)

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
I don't live in a place where I can just go back to the store. Is there any way I can keep them in that tank together? Like more frequent water changes, etc. One of the neon tetras has since died, so that brings them down to two. Can any of them be taken out and put in an unheated, unfiltered tank? The guy at the pet store was obviously stupid, but he said the pleco would only grow to be an inch or so long.... is there a type of them that this is true for?

No way! For one, both goldfish are coldwater species and cannot be kept with tropical species. Also, more water changes will not help your situation that much, as goldfish are poop machines and produce enough waste to require 5 to 10 times the filtration of a regular fish. Your fish will die from poor water conditions and if they don’t, they will die of organ failure. When fish are kept in such a small tank, their growth is stunted and their organs are either compressed or they explode through the small skeleton. Those fish cannot be kept in unheated or unfiltered tanks. Goldfish do not need a heater, but they NEED a filter. All plecos will get fairly large and create a ton of waste. Buy two large tanks from craigslist or find a way to take all the fish back. Never trust pet store employees! Only rare few are actually experienced.

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
Holy cow! yeah the goldfish can survive in a bucket or a bowl.

10-20% changes 2 times daily, with a vacuum. I do not now nor do i ever recommend anything more then 25% at one time.

Don't feed everyday!

Do you know which fish we are referring to when we say goldfish? (I know your not an idiot but your new to the fish world) The Oranda and the Moor. They are your WORST inhabitants by far.

your pleco will take a while to get to 24" but im guessing just like these guys that he is a common.

get to a supercenter or some sort, Walmart, Target, Kmart etc. they all sell fish stuff. Maybe make a Craigslist post about the fish, i know it sucks to loose money, but it's better to give it away then flush it after a fishy funeral.

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
Personally, (many will agree with me) goldfish should only be kept in buckets or bowls temporarily. I hope this is what nanu156 meant. So please, post an add on Craigslist and inform whoever is buying the fish that goldfish and plecos need very large tanks, so that they don't make the same mistakes you did. Good luck!