Oxycirrhites typus

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Ok i went to a LFS and they had a longnose hawkfish that they were acclimating. It was an adult one, 5 inches long. He looked healthy, but dang he has a big mouth. I was wondering, since he's an ornemtental inverts eater...do my 2 big cleaner shrimps have a chance ?
The LFS girl told me it came from a dude's tank and it was ok with shrimps...but still it's a "new" LFS so i dunno what their word is worth.
I told her to put it in a tank with cleaner shrimp then call me..she will do. Until then, do you guys have kept this specie, and what aggressions does it do ?
I've only seen Oxycirrhites typus in separated tanks, i dunno about their behavior with fishies/inverts.

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
I dont have one as of yet but plan on it. However I have large reservations on what it would do to my cleaners. Everything Ive read (and seen, saw one of them at my lfs in the display take out a cleaner) have been iffy on keeping them with ornamental shrimp.

I guess your best bet is to do what you did in asking for them to hold it with a cleaner (that was a very smart idea.) Let me know how it works out for ya.

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
yea thats a very reasonable price. The one I saw bit the shrimps tail and immobilized it, then finished the job.

How long is it going to be before she calls you (barring a early death of the cleaner?)

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
I think it will be fine, just keep him fed well and I think he will leave them alone, its when you let fish like that get hungry that they are bad. Just like my lion fish that ate my clown after 3 years...just because I went away for the weekend and didnt feed them.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site

He got injured while the LFS girl tried to remove him, but he'll be ok.
Funny thing, he looks like he has cloudy eyes but it's just the MH reflection

Say hello to Tyler.

He's chasing pods, he's hungry : good sign. He doesn't seems to be interested by shrimps, but mine are huge

Last edited:

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
When I got my latest fish, coral beauty, when the LFS had it in the container he looked away and the fish jumped out. It went into one of the live rock tanks below. After he found him and put him back in a container, he jumped out again. Fiesty little bugger.

Nice pics by the way.