Oxycirrhites typus

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
he's not shy at all...it's the first time that a new fish can handfed after so little time. He's not scared of any other fishies, he's changing location to find a look-a-like gorgonian. A shrimp tried to jump on him to check him out, he didn't jumped on it, but finally the shrimp didn't cleaned it..she tough he was ok ;)
He feels right at home, an even my tang is nice with this guy...first time too, my tang can be a killer. I am amazed...for now

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
ok OCCFan023 and Saltwater4life, you were interested in this specimen. So far, he's doing great, no aggressions by him or other inmates. I have to tell you it's not a great swimmer, but it's a great ornemental fishie. Every 5 mn he changes locations, and he's very easy to see. Not a shy fish, when i come near the tank, he comes to me. He only likes big chunks of food. I noticed his mouth is telescopic, "alien style"; he can double the length of his mouth...weird. He can be perched vertically, he uses his fins as hands; his fins aren't palmed, it's like fingers ! His best spot in the tank is where the coral rubbles are, i think it's because of the "gorgonian" look.
Anyways, so far so good..

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
Sounds like a more interesting fish than I had thought before and since I dont even have to worry about shrimp issues I think it would be a great.

I noticed you said it isnt a good swimmer, have you noticed it getting blown around in the water column a bit when its not perched?

I dont even want to ask this but Im just gonna throw it out there (I am not sure to the extent of the cameras ability) but any way you could get a picture of it eating/ its alien mouth? Or just it eating as mouth open would take way too much effort. :D

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
i was thinking about it, yeah i'll try, but if it's too difficult i'll upload a video to my photobuckey account so you can see it.

Occ -> Yeah he can be pushed around a little bit by my Seio and other powerheads, but consider that i have around 1500 gph of water movement in my tank alone, and he's ok. He can move a bit like a lawmower blenny, jumping around rocks, but with more agility, and he's careful with corals. He hides inside one of my giant hairy mush, and the mush isn't closing. When i wrote that he isn't a great swimmer, i was talking about his speed and endurance. Anyways i'll better make a video of this

Sep 26, 2006
New Jersey
lol try putting your hand in the tank while you feed them lol jk he looks very nice and thx for the info i seen you remembered i liked him :D i might get one down the road since now i'm going to turn my tank into a mini reef i got new lighting on the way but i cant have untill Christmas... but nice job on the pic's and video

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
nice video, I didnt realize you had that assortment of fish. He was also alot bigger than I had imagined which is a plus. He looked like he was handling himself in the current very well which eliminates most fears.

Were you just feeding him/ the other fish mysis or a mixture of frozen foods?

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Cool video.....yes he isn't a graceful swimmer that hangs out in the water column....but then again, I am partial to perchers like my citron gobie.....

those bangaii cardnals of mine jus float around as if they aren't moving at all

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Cool video.....yes he isn't a graceful swimmer that hangs out in the water column....but then again, I am partial to perchers like my citron gobie.....

those bangaii cardnals of mine jus float around as if they aren't moving at all

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
ok another goodie : I have some sundial snails :( wich is bad ), due to a 9 pound piece of LR i bought from a 8 y.old tank in a LFS...and the typus is eating them. So yeah he's eating some inverts, but he never touched my nassarius or small ones except the sundials :)
Someone must have trained him.

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
Your LNH just jumped ship...?

Man I just read that part of the thread that you just got him and now he is gone that lasted like 2 minutes for me... sorry to hear! They are great little guys though. I loved my Flame hawk when I had him but same thing happend to me... though my guy lasted quite some time before he did.

Are you going to get another after you add the eggcrate?

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
well for the couple of days i had it he was cool and friendly...i might.
Also there's a Coral Beauty available in a good LFS. Anyways i'm not adding anything else until i find some crate...ridiculous death, i was happy and all as you could see on this post...i hate mondays ! ;)