Pet store people

aakaakaak

Superstar Fish
Sep 9, 2010
Chesapeake, Virginia
Someone mentioned somewhere else that asking the store rep what kind of pets they personally own outside the store will give you a good indication of how informative they will be to your particular questions.

Edit: 3-gallon tank note - One of the stores in the area has started stocking some tropical "micro-fish" (not microfiche) that grow an inch or less specifically for small aquariums. I'd have to do more research on the subject to know exactly how small of a tank they go down to.

Last edited:

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
The biggest problem with small tanks (under 5 gallons) is not always what to stock them with, but keeping the parameters steady. Of course, you ask most pet store employees if they know what parameters are and they get that slightly dazed look with drool coming out the corner of their mouth. ;)

Mixicano

Small Fish
Aug 7, 2009
Milwaukee
When you are talking about large chain stores the problem is that they rarely hire people with specific "fish" experience. So, when you get misinformation it is more likely that they just don't know the correct information and if they are overheard saying "i don't know" then they will probably get in trouble. I work at a locally owned fish store and if i don't know something i will tell a customer so. I will then look up the information and give them a couple of resources to use at home.

Aug 13, 2010
Sicklerville, NJ
My LFS is SPECTACULAR! The owner is always there and always gives great advice. He never tries to sell anything, and always tells you the cheapest way to do things. I have given him back plenty of fish if they have out grown my tanks, or just don't get along with my fish. I never ask for anything in return, but after he sells the fish he always throws something in, like last time I gave him a 6 inch chocolate Pleco I bought from him 3 years ago when he was just 1 inch. He sold him for $12, then gave me a large bag of algae wafers (for my corys...LOL) a few days later.

I have also been in Petsmart and over heard bad advice, but also good advice. This woman wanted to know how many goldfish she could but in a bowl. The clerk tried not to answer, but when pressed she said....none, a bowl is for cereal, not fish. I gave her a high five! LOL

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Kutos DDD! I am all for that!! I read someplace about this business about buying fish because you like them but when they outgrown the tank to give them back, trade or whatever. Its like I would love some clown loaches but I don't and won't have a tank big enough. But I could foster and enjoy them for however long it took and then trade them, sell them or give them away. The whole point is to know the fish and the capacity of your tank. I have read several articles about this approach.

prsturm

Large Fish
Aug 13, 2010
The Petsmart and Petcos around here just answer positively to whatever you ask them.

Will this hurt my tank? No.
Will this help my tank? Yes. Is this ok? Yes.
Is this not ok? Yes.
If I do this, will something happen? No.
If I add some detergent to my water, will it keep the fishes nice and clean? Yes.