Pics of my 20 gallon

Feb 28, 2005
Waterford, CA
speeking of fishfreak's tank, dont mean to interupt, but i am going to get a clean up crew 4 my tank. it is a 60 gal hex?

1'st awnser fish's question.. lol

but what kind of crabs? and roughly like how many.. sorry just didn't want to start another thread. thanx

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
i don't like hermit crabs. Only had one super huge electric blue hermit...and he destroyed everything. He would run over zoanthids, eat some..and eating the little coralline i had :-( Also some crab will kill snails for their shells.
I bought some snails..now got like 12 only..but i don't think i need more. LFS that say that you need at least 60 snails ( considering they aren't little ones ) for let's say 40 gallons are bullsh.... you i think. Astrea/turbo are big ( and morons ) so i don't need more. And they sometimes work 24h a day ! Also suicide into powerheads.. ;)

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
well the high point of the hermits is that they are scavengers. My cheap live rock took some time to get alive..but now is filled with pods ( you know the little shrimp-like cratures..noctural ) and they eat everything that dies. So they are too scavengers. If you have a good pod population this shouldn't be a problem, anyways bacteria can take care of it either i guess. It surely isn't a bad thing to remove the remains of your snails.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Usually it's a freebie that comes with the live rock. If you see little holes drilled on your live rock, it may be them ( worms too ).
But a friend of mine has superb live rock with almost no population of pods...i took some rocks during the night..shaked it in a cup with SW in it..gave him like 12 big ones to help him. I don't think you can really buy them.
Use a flashlight in the morning when your lights are off and aim the rocks. That's the way to clearly see them.

http://web.odu.edu/sci/biology/jrh/whatis.htm

Looks like that

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
actually, some places do sell pods...but yes, they generally are prsent in your tank just often in small numbers due to predation

the 4 nassarius snails is probably not going to be enough...i would look into getting maybe 5 astreas and definitely some of those reef hermits should be ok. i think the problem kahluazzz had was his choice of hermits. the big ones tend to be ackward and problematic in reef systems in my opinion

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
i understand where you are coming from there kahluazzz...i had a bad experience with some left handed (aka zebra) hermits...they were killing snails left and right (but not moving into the shells) which really was frustrating. never bought those again, thats for sure