Pictures

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Yes it is all live rock, Marshall Island rock...6 pieces totalling 125 lbs. The largest is 34 lbs and the smallest is about 20....all knarly and it look like petrified coral.....I am beginning to get algae growing and need to get some clean up guys into it as everthing seems to have stabilized.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I would wait some weeks to add the chromis. While things are still stabilising (which will take some months) you want to avoid adding any more waste (from fish) into the system to try to hold back algae growth

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
It's been running for 3 weeks......all levels have been zero for over a week....only my salinity is a little low at 1.022.......the next water change should bring it up within a more acceptable range. I ordered a cleanup crew that I should receive on Tuesday. What is the best way to acclimatize snails and hermits?

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I don't see the point of the temp acclim.

Things are somewhat different when you start getting online or shipped fish ,es pecially if they're late. As the fish are in the bag they are extruding wastes, and in general these reduce the pH. This is quite good as ammonia is quite a bit less toxic in acid water. But when you start dripping water in the pH goes up again, and while you think you're 'doing good' by slowly raising the pH, in fact you'll kill them by toxifying the ammonia.

So if you're expecting online fish accept they might be late. See what the vendor recommends you do, but I am also going to recommend you use some ammolock