Plans for community tank, need advice ;)

AlyKat

Large Fish
Aug 3, 2007
New York
After some thought and time spent on Craigslist, I think I am actually going to with a 30g. The size makes me nervous, but I've heard bigger tanks are better for beginners anyway.
True...very true...the bigger the tank, the easier it is to take care of. :D

I appreciate the advice about the fish compatibilities, the combo is really just based on the ones I liked down at the pet store, out of what they had to offer. I would hate to see the mollies go, or the swordtails or platys for that matter, is it really going to be an issue having them all together?
That was what I had started out with...minus the mollies. I never had those. But I wound up with a LOT of fish in the end. Just make sure to get all 1 sex...males are usually prettier, so I'd go with those!

misterking

Superstar Fish
Aug 12, 2008
Manchester, UK
www.facebook.com
No...I wouldn't put a male betta with male guppies...he will most likely go after and possibly kill them...too close with the long fancy tails...

Again, I wouldn't do this either...have you ever seen a male betta try to mate a female? It's not pretty! Not to mention that they'll need to like eachother and 20G isn't much room for them to get away from eachother...
Hmm I've never had either problems, but then again I've always worked with much bigger than a 20 gallon. In one case when I kept a male and two female bettas he almost completely ignored them as if they were a completely different species which I found pretty odd. All other times they've got on pretty well. And as for guppies and male bettas I've not had a problem with aggression at all, maybe I've just been lucky with them!