Please help, I'm killing everything

BalaShark

Large Fish
Dec 5, 2005
Lorna said:
I have heard not to use distilled.....you are better off going to the local grocery store and buying it in bulk....or Culligans.
You mean like the water cooler bottles?

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
You can use distilled water but they say not to use it becuase it has absolutly no nutrients that your tank needs. Your tap most likely has too many. I used distilled for a while, but made the jump to RO/DI.

Since i've had my mh I have to shoot for 82 so my tank doesn't have a big temp swing during light cycles.

CoolWaters

Superstar Fish
Dec 10, 2006
Milpitas
"Caution: Your Cleanup Critters are the most fragile during acclimation ( they are very sensitive to salinity and ph change), and need to be acclimated very slowly, over a period of approximately two hours. Do not rush this procedure or losses will occur.

Acclimation Procedure: Snails, starfish, and other inverts are very sensitive to minor salinity and ph changes and must be slowly drip acclimated to insure their survival. Place invertebrates in a container and use a drip line to slowly acclimate all invertebrates. It is critical that invertebrates be slowly acclimated!! Drip acclimate at a rate of 1-2 drops per second for at least 2 hours. "

is this the problem?

Last edited:

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
There is nothing wrong with an 82 temp....most reef waters are at least that, the biggest danger is wide temp swings not the temp. I keep my reef around 80 day and 78 night....sometimes it drops a bit more than that but mostly has only a 2 degree spread day/night.