Please Help me to ID this Fish

Dylan

Small Fish
Jul 23, 2005
pretty sure thats an AFRICAN PIKE. pikes are very very aggressive. ive got a gar, a characin gar which resembles that fish a lot, except a gar has a much pointier mouth. but i think its an african pike

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
What's the scientific name for an African Pike? The gar characin is another Hydrocyanus (or some are)

I would not be too surprised if it was a juvenile colour form of one of the Hydrocyanus species( pictures of all of them on fishbase) but I am concerned that there is no red in the fins, and it's dotted in this fish. I really doubt that it's a hybrid or new mutation - it's simply that these fish aren't that common so not many sites or books will contain it. I didn't have time to look in my Baensch atlases last night. If I haven't id'ed it in a a few days I'll mail a picture to somone I know who'll id it in about 2 seconds to species level

Aug 14, 2005
Dylan said:
pretty sure thats an AFRICAN PIKE. pikes are very very aggressive. ive got a gar, a characin gar which resembles that fish a lot, except a gar has a much pointier mouth. but i think its an african pike
Thank you Dylan, I think it's an African Pike by looking at this picture also. Thanks alot.

http://www.dreamlake-fishing.com/fish21.html

African Pike info

btw, is this a rare fish to get a hand on, for example like the african tiger fish.

I found a website which sells this fish. Although it's in Japanese, it's sells for ¥13,440, convert it to usd is $122.68. I bought this fish for $60.

Here's the website, it's 3rd role down from left, just see the picture.
http://homepage3.nifty.com/aquashop-true/characin/hp-5characin.htm

Last edited:

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Well this fish seems a laugh a minute - hopped out of the tank and bit the author of the second article.

Anywhere there's a lot of new stuff coming out of Africa so expect to see the price some down. They were price at about a 45$ equiv for a 6 inch fish in Britain, and the same here